1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

EB-3 tuner replacements...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by unclebass, Dec 29, 2013.

1. unclebass

unclebass

Just purchased my first Epiphone bass, an EB-3(2013). Common issues with these are thick part of string laying on saddles,(which I have taken care of with a bridge mod bar) and being neck heavy, the overly large tuning keys don't help this at all. Does anyone have any experience with lighter weight replacement tuners that will require no modifications to headstock? Would also prefer tuners that were a little lower profile. The ears on the tuner keys are WAY larger than they need to be. I think that lighter tuners might help, but I don't want to make any changes that I can't completely reverse if I'm not happy with results. Final changes would likely be replacing pots with better quality, once you turn these off 10, the drop in volume and tone is not even at all. For right now, I'm focusing on tuners. Has anybody replaced the tuners on their EB-3?
  2. mike koers

mike koers

I.M.O. I don't think swapping tuning keys will help because the body shape causes the imbalance.
    I tried to solve this by adding counterweight in the bodies cavity...
    There is enough space in there to fit as much as you will need..
    Another thing to trie is different guitar straps.. I bought one with a bit rougher "inside" wich slides less..
    Cant help you with the pots .. you'll need to see a pro about that..
  3. RSBBass

RSBBass

Moving the top strap button from the horn to the back of the neck junction can help.
  4. unclebass

unclebass

On these basses, strap button is already mounted on the neck junction on the back. Thought about relocating it to the underside of the upper horn, or to the back of the headstock near the nut. Would need a long strap for that location. May use a piece of string as a makeshift strap to see if that would be a comfortable positon for strap and solve the neck dive problem.