EB MM S/Ray5 pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stevos, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Stevos

Stevos

I've got a Sting Ray 5, new in April 2008. I play a regular gig with it through a PA using in ear monitors to hear myself and others. I don't recall the monitoring system used off hand but I can adjust everyone's input to my liking and I'm forever asking the sound guy to bring me up in my ear while my monitor control is maxed for bass. No big deal but when playing through some of my home recording gear I've noticed my bass's output is low when compared to my other instruments. I've put in a new battery and there's no change. Is this a problem with the standard MM pup or what else?
    Any help appreciated!!

I should add that the bass sounds fine when played through my normal rig (GB Shuttle and LilG cab)

Stevos
  2. 1954bassman

1954bassman

I play a EBMM Sterling 5HS and a Sterling 5H in much the same situation. I find MM basses have a very high output.

You could, first of all, try replacing the battery.

Start with all bass EQ controls flat (center detent). I always run full volume on my bass.

Then I would look to gain structure. At your regular gig, it could very well be the settings on the bass channel strip. If the sound person is not necessarily a pro, or knows little about what they are doing, bass can be a tricky beast to properly set gain levels and EQ. For me, I had to go very simple, Bass > Markbass Compressore > Radial JDI. If I try to use any type of preamp, my channel always ends up distorted.

While on the subject of gain staging, also check the gain on whatever interface is between your personal monitor mixer and the main mixer monitor sends.

Next, work on your personal monitor mix. There is plenty of material available here on TalkBass and searching the web for setting IEMs. A quick set-up would be to turn all the channel sends off, bring your master up to say 1 o'clock, bring your bass control on the monitor mixer up to about 1/2 (noon?). With still only your bass in you ears, adjust master to where the bass is loud enough for your liking. Then bring up only the other channels as you need to hear them, keeping the unimportant ones low.

When I get done setting my IEMs, usually the bass, drums, and lead vocals are pretty hot. Everything else is mixed fairly low. Usually if I have trouble hearing the bass, something else is too loud, or I do not have my in-ears in my ears properly. I tight seal is a must, especially for bass players. Make sure you use both ears as well.
  3. Stevos

Stevos

Thanks `54,

I did try the battery with no luck in improvement on the home devices. I do end up running my personal monitor mix up around "9" just to get "me" okay then dial everyone else back accordingly. I'll check the rest. The sound guy appears to be competent and works with other bassist that he says don't have the low signal problem my bass seems to have.
    I don't understand you're "I had to go very simple, Bass > Markbass Compressore > Radial JDI. If I try to use any type of preamp, my channel always ends up distorted." statement. Can you clarify - big help, I appreciate it!
    Stevos
  4. 1954bassman

1954bassman

When you say "9" do you mean 9 out of a possible 10, or do you mead 9 o'clock?

If you and the other bassist are running through the exact same channel, and everything else is the same, your EBMM should be eating his bass for lunch.

What I meant by going simple was: I am basically running my bass direct into the mixer. no preamp, tone pedals, etc.

I use a compressor to help even out my aggressive playing style.
  5. Register to disable this ad