1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

EB MM Stingray 5 Birdseye Maple Neck Era

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrokeDownSouth, Dec 3, 2013.

1. BrokeDownSouth

BrokeDownSouth Supporting Member

I previously posted a question about the approximate dates that Ernie Ball switched from using a metal battery door to the plastic flip out boxes. I got some good feedback on that, so now I'm wondering the approximate dates that EB began / stopped putting the birdseye maple necks on the 'Ray's. Stingray 5's are of particular interest for me.

:eyebrow:
  2. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

My old 1991 EBMM SR5 *did* have both the metal battery door and a birdseye maple neck.

My 1996 EBMM Sterling has a plastic battery box and a flamed maple neck (no birdseye to be seen).
  3. Jiker75

Jiker75 The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

My '93 and '94 both had/have Birdseye necks
  4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Both my 98' and 99' SR4's have birdseye maple necks.
  5. BrokeDownSouth

I wonder if they gradually introduced/quit using Birdseye on different models. Anyways, Looks like it was used throughout the 90s so far.
  6. nivagues

nivagues

Generally, the early EB Rays mainly had figured maple necks. Around circa 1990 wood workers (furniture makers etc) experienced a shortage of exotic woods (for whatever reason) and resorted to figured maples which made supplies less plentyful/more expensive. You could still find figured maple necks but it was luck of the draw as to what the instrument came with.
  7. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

'93 SR5 with a bird's eye maple neck. '98, mostly without.
  8. BrokeDownSouth

All the new std. stingray 5's I've looked at recently have straight grain very light maple necks. The 'classic' models have figured necks.... Wish I could nail a time frame down.
  9. godsey

godsey

Low end bass .com has a sr5 natural and beatiful birdseye.go to the used bass section and you will see it .its 1199