EB MM Stingray 5 Birdseye Maple Neck Era

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrokeDownSouth, Dec 3, 2013.

1. BrokeDownSouth

BrokeDownSouth Supporting Member

I previously posted a question about the approximate dates that Ernie Ball switched from using a metal battery door to the plastic flip out boxes. I got some good feedback on that, so now I'm wondering the approximate dates that EB began / stopped putting the birdseye maple necks on the 'Ray's. Stingray 5's are of particular interest for me.

:eyebrow:
  2. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

My old 1991 EBMM SR5 *did* have both the metal battery door and a birdseye maple neck.

My 1996 EBMM Sterling has a plastic battery box and a flamed maple neck (no birdseye to be seen).
  3. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

My '93 and '94 both had/have Birdseye necks
  4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Both my 98' and 99' SR4's have birdseye maple necks.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BrokeDownSouth

I wonder if they gradually introduced/quit using Birdseye on different models. Anyways, Looks like it was used throughout the 90s so far.
  7. nivagues

nivagues

Generally, the early EB Rays mainly had figured maple necks. Around circa 1990 wood workers (furniture makers etc) experienced a shortage of exotic woods (for whatever reason) and resorted to figured maples which made supplies less plentyful/more expensive. You could still find figured maple necks but it was luck of the draw as to what the instrument came with.
  8. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

'93 SR5 with a bird's eye maple neck. '98, mostly without.
  9. BrokeDownSouth

All the new std. stingray 5's I've looked at recently have straight grain very light maple necks. The 'classic' models have figured necks.... Wish I could nail a time frame down.
  10. godsey

godsey

Low end bass .com has a sr5 natural and beatiful birdseye.go to the used bass section and you will see it .its 1199