1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Eb3 bass mod

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fraco, Dec 26, 2012.

1. fraco

fraco

I`ve ordered a couple of Curtis novak bisonic pickups for my Greco Eb3copy. I`m gonna change all the wiring and pickups.

the plan is a 6way 4pole rotary switch for series/paralell and phase in/out switching.

I`ll have independent volum and tone for both pickups, and the tone is going to be a modded fender tbx pot. wich will be able to cut bass or treble on both pickups independently. (hopefully)

the rotary switch is going to be wired like below. the rest of the wiring is in the pdf mod. this is my first mod and wiring schematic, so it may be a bit off..

however, I have a few questions.

does this look like a workable mod overall? I know the volum and tone will not work out off phase (pos 5 and 6). but will It work at all?

what about the series wiring, will the bridge volum and tone pots suck to much tone from the series?

In pos 3 (bridge only) shall I ground the neck pickup, or does this not matter?

about the schematic. the black wiring is ground. I was unable to show the solding on pots etc. the green wire is the hot signal. the square in the middle is the common ground

I have showed some off the rotary switch hope you`ll understand when you look at the picture.

I would really like some help and thoughts about this..

thanks

PS. page about the TBX mod here:

https://sites.google.com/site/phostenixwiringdiagrams/modified-tbx-tone-control

Attached Files:

2. fraco

fraco

this will make it easier. :D

Attached Files:

3. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

I don't see why it shouldn't work. The switch is definitely properly wired, and the TBX and volumes appear to, as well.

Best of luck with the wiring, and hope you'll post clips when you're done. :D
  4. fraco

fraco

I`ve chosen a blend and master volum pot instead, and added all the wiring to the diagram.. hope this is more understandable.. ;)

Attached Files:

5. fraco

fraco

thanks for the feedback! after help on the guitarnutz 2 forum(GREAT forum btw), and studying and thinking, I came up with this new diagram. it also includes a stereo/mono switch and the midchoke on series and paralell mode.
    because of independent Volume pots, It also means the midchoke can be added to each pickup if you turn down the other pickup :)

the DPDT switch on the push/pull pot is wired upside down.. to make it easier to see where all the wires are going..

Attached Files:

6. fraco

fraco

different wiring in the diagram with the midchoke here.

haven`t decided on values yet, though..
    EB720mod2.jpg
  7. fraco

fraco

I`m just gonna use the inductor from my EB720 and a .47 cap for series and .22 cap for paralell. thats a start.

Attached Files:

8. fraco

fraco

I`ve recieved most of my parts except the pickups, so I`ll guess I`ll start the wiring soon, to have everything ready for the pickups arrival. However, I came across the Villex passive mid boost, and decided I wanted to have that instead of the midscoop.

anyone here with any info on how this booster work? http://www.villex.com/internal_booster.html

here is a wiring schematic in pdf. only one I found: http://www.villex.com/downloads/switch boost.pdf

I`ve tried searching the net (incl. this forum) for info on this but the only info I find is that it is probably transformer or inductor based.. But It has gotten really good reviews also for basses, and thats what I really care about.

I have a question about the wiring. do I need to wire the output from the toneboost straight to the jack output as showed, or can I just wire it to join the other outputs on the rotary? see pictures

Attached Files:

9. eukatheude

eukatheude

What value did you use for the inductor?
  10. fraco

fraco

last version without stereo/mono switch, but with the midboost on the push/pull and midscoop.. perhaps this is the version I finally end up with. but I`m first going to try midboost and stereoversion. to see if Stereo comes in handy and because of not having to go through all the hassle of finding midscoop values.

Attached Files:

11. fraco

fraco

I haven`t ordered an inductor yet. but for bass I`ve found that around 3H is a good start.

I`ve found a solution for wiring the midboost with rotary. see pic. this is what I`ll first do when I get the pickup. after a while I`ll probably skip stereo/mono switch to have both midboost and midscoop...

Attached Files: