1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ebay Advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by melikecookies, Apr 14, 2014.

1. melikecookies

melikecookies Supporting Member

Ok so I may have a situation on my hands with EBay and I wanted to get advice on how to go about things. Last week I ordered a laptop and the description simply stated "This is a re-certified product, looks like new.". The seller had a limited feedback, but all were positive so I felt confident about purchasing the laptop. It was shipped promptly and I received it earlier today. As soon as I opened the box, I noticed there were a whole lot of deep scratches on the top of the laptop, as well as on the inside and the sides. Now I have purchased a good amount of refurbished/recertified product on Ebay and other sites, and every single purchase I couldn't even tell it wasn't new, unless it specified specific damage. The auction stated no returns, but I felt like the laptop was misrepresented (there were no photos of the actual laptop, only 2 stock photos and the brief description). So I sent this email to the seller earlier via Ebay:

"Hello, I am messaging you about the laptop I recently purchased. The description listed the laptop as re certified, but in like new condition. There are a good amount of scratches on the top and a few on the inside, which I really didn't expect for a like new product. I realize you don't accept returns, but would it be an option in this case as I feel it was misrepresented? Please let me know. Thanks"

The seller just sent this response:

"Hello, I'm really sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the item. I totally understand and respect your perspective toward the situation. Although here is my perspective, There was no where in the Ad where I stated that the item was in "like New condition." Go back and look very carefully at the Ad. The Ad says "Item condition: Refurbished." plus it says, "This is a re-certified product, looks like new.” my dear, there is a big difference between "Like new condition" and "looks like new." Also no where in my Ad i stated that the item didn't have any scratches. You can also refer to Ebay's help to get more info regarding what each condition means under Ebay's policy. For that I will not be able to accept any returns. Please except my sincere apologies for this misunderstanding. But, I believe my Ad was clear enough, and here's a tip that will benefit you for future purchases on Ebay. "A refurbished condition item is NEVER like new."

Tips on how to go about this? Am I crazy for requesting a refund in this case? :help:

2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Without seeing the actual ad itself, it's terribly difficult for me to comment in depth. If you truly feel mislead or that the item description was incorrect, you can open a case with PayPal for "Item not as described" and let them have the final say on the matter. They may do a partial, full or no refund per their own policies. In my (very limited eBay/PP dispute) experience, it doesn't matter if the auction was "as is" and "no returns", as PayPal may still side with you.

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

The auction didn't disclose the scratches. The seller is using double talk to get around the non disclosure. File a complaint for item not as described. PayPal will side with you. There IS no difference between like new and looks like new. It's the same thing. The seller is trying to scam you. File the complaint.

4. melikecookies

melikecookies Supporting Member

I was just about to respond back asking what he felt the difference was between the two, because I for one don't understand. The link to the auction:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/151258173701

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Lovely description there haha. Even though he/she did use apparently stock images, they never call that out in the ad either - usually sellers will put something like "Photos are not actual unit but are representative" or some such. Since they didn't do that, it's (somewhat, kind of) reasonable to assume the photos should show condition of the item. Also, yeah, "looks like new" and "like new" are, in this case, the same thing to me. How do scratches "look like new"? Any new item I've ever purchased came sans scratches.

Open a case, escalate it to a claim and get some/all of your money back. Just realize you may need to ship it back to the seller.

7. OldDog52

OldDog52

Seller stated "looks like new". If it's scratched to hell, take photos as proof that claim is false. Maybe consider asking the seller for a partial refund of the purchase price in return for not filing a claim.

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Did he edit the auction? The link shows nothing in the description other than "T".

Even just going by whatever is there now "Manufacturer refurbished: Looks like new" would indicate it um, looks like new. If I bought a car under that description I wouldn't expect dents and scratches now would I? It doesn't matter if the engine had 0 miles on it.

9. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

I wonder if the seller bought a block of refurb units from the refurbisher and likely doesn't open them to inspect, then uses a template auction description he set up.

Still, I can sympathize with your being upset. If you want refurb stick to major retailers. They may cost more but it's likely they try to make you happy.

10. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Scratches on a used laptop are no big deal if it works perfectly. But "ooks like new" means "No Scratches" in my book. So I'd probably fight him on this. Ebay will back you up. If you are very happy with the Laptop otherwise than I'd just let it go or ask for a partial refund.

11. Immigrant

Immigrant

Yes, the seller is using double talk and BS. Yes, the laptop was misrepresented in the listing.

And yes, you got a supposedly fully-functioning laptop for about $200. Unless the screen is cracked, you did OK. Now you have a laptop that you won't be constantly worried about scratching up. If it works as it should, let it go.

12. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

"my dear, there is a big difference between "Like new condition" and "looks like new." "

Man, that'd rub me the wrong way even more.

Though you can reply and say - yes, like new condition isn't the same as "looks like new", but if it's scratched to hell it sure as f*** doesn't look like new either!

13. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp Supporting Member

There is a special box in the listing where as a seller you are supposed to list things like scratches. You can win this with ease.

14. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

There is a difference. The latter refers explicitly to the cosmetic state of the object, with no comment about the functionality of the object.

15. bolophonic

bolophonic

That kind of weaseling annoys me to no end. I bought something from a guy in the early days of eBay and it was non-functional when it arrived. When I emailed the seller, he directed me to the line where he stated the item was "in working condition," which was "technically" not the same as an item that works. I dialed 411 and got his phone number and called him over dinner. He was so shocked, he agreed to a refund.

16. djasterix

djasterix

I've never seen a "new" laptop with scratches... As it states "looks like new" then I will expect to be in almost pristine condition. He/she is double-talking. Just open a case, because that ad was openly misleading.

17. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

LOOKS LIKE NEW.

SCRATCHES.

CASE CLOSED.

YOU WIN.

18. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

As someone who buys daily in high risk categories on Ebay, I can assure you...double-speak and non-disclosure never happens... heh.... *sigh*:atoz:

19. michael_atw

Or is a drop shipper.

20. michael_atw

OP: Ebay has a straight-direct arrow right to their "money back guarantee" complaint center. If you don't like the condition or find the seller to be acting a'fool, just open a case. "No returns" means nothing to Ebay.

21. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'd take the case to Ebay. I agree that it's double-talk.

The seller also didn't specify that it had NOT been stepped on by an elephant. Maybe it looks new, given that an elephant stepped on it.