eBay and the rickenfaker witch hunt...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PeteSix, Feb 21, 2013.

1. PeteSix

PeteSix

So I tried to sell a Kay short scale Rick-a-like on eBay this week and 3 days in, they pull the auction. :-/
    Now, I know they're pretty heavy handed when it comes to these items, but I was careful not use the 'r' word and IMO the Kay type really isn't that close to the real thing (unlike the hondos grecos etc).
    But they still pull the auction. The bit that gets my goat is the mail they send to tell me *I'm* breaching copyright. I didn't manufacture the thing but also - particularly with this variation, I really don't think they have a leg to stand on legally - it's body shape is a little bit similar that's all really. I know it's not worth pursuing it but I think this is a little over the top and I was wondering if anyone else has had Ricky shut down their auction because their instrument looked 'a little bit like' a rickenbacker as opposed to a full on copy?
  2. blueflamerick

blueflamerick Supporting Member

I understand you being upset about it, but keep in mind that for any company to keep their valuable trademarks, they must strictly enforce them. While the Kay may not look exactly like a Rickenbacker, it does copy certain registered trademarks, such as the cresting wave of the body.
  3. PeteSix

PeteSix

I don't question their copyright at all but i think that's a step too far.
    If I was manufacturing instruments like that then sure, but these things haven't been made prob since the early 70s and I'd be hard pressed to come up with a convincing argument myself as to how it damages the rickenbacker brand, especially when you've got brands like italia offering hollow bodied 4005 style instruments.
    Also, Its often hit and miss - I've seen very accurate copies (ibanez) complete auction without a hitch. I'm not sour grapes about it, I was genuinely surprised they thought it close enough to the real deal to get heavy about it!
  4. bumperbass

bumperbass

I don't understand. Stumbling block in my head. So, I have a P-bass copy and I can't sell it on ebay? So it wasn't 'R' that was twisted about this? It was ebay? Sorry, but I don't see the problem.
    You said it was a Kay, right?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Let's see your ebay description. If you made any reference at all to a Ric, or even a hint, ebay will dump the listing.
  7. ZombieSpacebat

ZombieSpacebat

But according to your profile you're in the UK, I thought Ric had no authority outside of the USA?
  8. bumperbass

bumperbass

OK. I understand. The OP said he was careful not to use the 'r' word. So if he didn't say 'Rickenbacker copy' he can still have the listing pulled?
  9. blueflamerick

It makes no difference how old the instrument is. Rickenbacker must report every trademark infringement they see. Some slip through the cracks.

Unlike Rickenbacker, Fender does not hold a trademark on the P bass body shape, which is why you see so many P bass clones.
  10. elgecko

elgecko

There's a good chance you were reported by an overzealous TBer type.
  11. blueflamerick

He probably was. Rickenbacker does have trademarks registered in the EU, so his being in the UK doesn't save him.
  12. bill reed

bill reed

Rickenbacker do have a tradmerk on the headstock and also on the truss rod cover in the Uk. but not on the body or anything else. the trademark was taken out in 2002!
    so if the Kay had a ric style headstock then e-bay Uk would pull it!
  13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Better to report everything in the hopes you catch all the fakes. :smug:
  14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

He can't sell a vintage Kay wow but I understand Rics position they don't sell anything close to Fender numbers so they can't afford to have anything slip through the cracks.
  15. christopherogut

christopherogut Supporting Member

it might be worth it to post pictures with the headstock covered or cropped out and explain carefully in the ad to contact you for additional pictures.

i've seen some Ric copy basses sell successfully on eBay after running for a full week while others are pulled in a matter of hours... weird stuff.
  16. geddeeee

geddeeee

It depends whether the 'Ricken-Waffen' police see it. (Talking about the Rick based forums).
    They fall over themselves if they see a 'faker'...
    I own a Ricky, but this sort of behaviour really pisses me off!!!

Some of the copies are pretty good. They're clearly NOT a real RIC, I don't see why the 'Waffen' can't live and let live...

This snobbery does not help. Most of them are more interested in how shiny and 'stock' there basses are.

Annoying??? Yep....
  17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

I pretty much agree with this. I would probably not buy a faker, but I have no issues with someone else buying one. I could understand going after someone who was building them and selling them, after all, there is a reason why Rickenbacker can protect it's intellectual property and Gibson and Fender can't, but a guy selling a used one on Ebay? Seems a little overboard to me, but then, that doesn't really surprise anyone does it? lol
  18. FrednBass

FrednBass

What a stupid thing to pull the listing out. If you made clear what brand the bass is and all, why would they care what you're selling? They should sue the Kay factory, not stoping you from selling it.
    People surprise me everyday with their stupidity.
  19. msb

msb

I believe Rickenbacker has every right to protect their copyrights . I wish Gibson and Fender ( and Mosrite and Music Man ) had done so too .

I remember wondering if I had bought a real Ric , or a fake . As it turned out I bought the real thing , but I've seen a lot of people that didn't realize their Rickenbacker was not quite what it was made out to be .

Some are sold as fakes , some are passed off as the real thing . Some are bought as fakes and then re-sold as the real thing .
  20. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Sure they do, but try this. Make YOURSELF a T-shirt ( Or heaven forbid a plexi TRC) with a Ric logo on it, then go on the corporate sight and see what happens. lol
  21. msb

msb

Repeat ... I believe Rickenbacker has every right to protect their copyrights .

.... especially if you are copying truss rod covers