1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ebay Blunders

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by SleepingMikkel, Nov 18, 2012.

1. SleepingMikkel

SleepingMikkel

I wasn't sure if a thread like this has been posted, but I'm interested in sharing stories of our slip ups while surfing Evil Bay.

Just a few minutes ago I was flipping through the pedals just scanning my eyes across the screen when I see the Dunlop Bass Wah at $59.00 with a minute left, I stared at the screen and like an ass I tried to nab it in the last 30 seconds with a $64.00 bid... Only to be presented with a screen asking me to sign in. Doh! Too little too late, heh. Congrats to whoever got it.

2. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

"Yes! I'm gonna win this 1981 G & L"... "Oh no it's FRETLESS!" <ding>

Got home a bit drunk one time after an office party... The great thing is I bid on my 1974 P - but I was also the highest bidder for a long time on a pink champagne sparkle 1978 P! Fortunately that one was bid over.

I usually don't regret anything that has slipped me by.

3. mixtapelove

mixtapelove

I bid and nearly won a cymbal that had a crack in it. Fortunately I was outbid.

4. bolophonic

bolophonic

I've let so many things slip by... some of them have been heartbreakers, but what this thread is reminding me of is all the times I have "blundered" by impulsively bidding on something I wanted but didn't need, or realized afterwards that I was going to get hosed on shipping, or some other form of bidder's-remorse. Thankfully, I have been outbid on most of those.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JTFormula

JTFormula

I bid on an 83 dodge Ramcharger for $350 in Staten Island NY at the last moment. It was a no reserve auction and had 3 mins to go. I scanned the description and said hey its got to be worth that in scrap. I placed my bid then after I won it, I really read the auction "no brakes, runs rough, lots of rust, best used for parts"

Well I drove out there with cash and my car trailer since I won it. I held into that POS for two months and posted it in Craigslist for $400 just to recoup my money + tolls and gas. I sold it for $350 to a kid who was going to school for body shop and this was his project. At least it found a home.

I am sure to read the auctions fully before I make that mistake again.

7. slagbass

slagbass Supporting Member

8. BryanSwift

BryanSwift

9. Versatek6

Versatek6 Supporting Member

Bought a pair of Lace humbuckers for $35.

Turned out to be a Lace p-bass pickup.

:meh: :rollno:

10. No Neck Shrek

No Neck Shrek

I put a bid in right before leaving for a job interview. When I got back home later I checked the email and was informed I won. I when and told my wife - "I accidently bought another bass". She just laughed and asked to see the ad, then told me how pretty it is ! :)

I only paid $200 for this one !
    [​IMG]

11. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

What are you complaining about? It's a fretless that comes with frets at no extra charge! :D

12. BryanSwift

BryanSwift

I know right? Also extras and a case! :smug: