eBay item: Fender Bass VI made from Jaguar parts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TolerancEJ, Dec 29, 2012.

1. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

What do you folks think about his item? I have no affiliation with this ad, but I've placed it on my Watch list. It's from an eBay seller madjazzman. I don't know if he's a member of TB or not. It's essentially a Bass VI but it is made from a MIJ Jaguar Baritone neck and a MIM Jaguar Classic body.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/281045763216
  2. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone knows about this instrument and/or the person who built it.
  3. FrednBass

FrednBass

I'd buy it
  4. Peoplefantastic

Peoplefantastic

It's a baritone guitar.
    Not so much a bass.

You would still tune it as a guitar I'm assuming.
    If that's what your looking for (a baritone guitar), I'd go for it.

Cheers!
    : )
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Manmower

Manmower

The Bass VI has a 30" neck. This conversion has a 27" neck. I'd wait for the real thing if I was you, it will be worth your while!
  7. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I've no intention of bidding. I only posted it here to share and generate discussion.
  8. Manmower

Manmower

OK, sorry for misreading you. Guess I'm trying to recruit more Bass VI players :)
    Anyhow, my opinion of this is that you won't get the full effect of the E-E tuning since the neck is 3" shorter than the original. Still, the seller claims to have fitted it with Bass VI strings, something that at least in my head would mean encountering tension and intontation difficulties. But I might be wrong.
  9. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to own a Bass VI one day. At the moment, there are only a few options available to us...
    1) Find a vintage Bass VI & pay a hefty ransom. lol
    2) Maybe come across a Closet Classic re-issue from a few years back, or
    3) Fender Japan put out a re-issue last year.
    4) Fender Custom Shop $$$$

If I was going to buy one, I would probably try to get the more recent MIJ Bass VI.
  10. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Isn't Warmoth making body's and necks now?
  11. Manmower

Manmower

Just a heads up, USCG makes replica bodies and necks for Bass VI. I have one that was finished, slightly reliced and put together by an Australian luthier I met on the offset guitars forum, and the bass is just as good as a Fender CS, if not better IMO. Neither the japansese reissues nor the CS ones are right on the spot specs-wise, but getting one made like I did will get you closer to an original than anything.