eBay Questions: Didn't Realize You Were an Expert

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BrokeDownSouth, Oct 13, 2013.

1. BrokeDownSouth

BrokeDownSouth Supporting Member

Here's a message string from the bay about a bass I was trying to sell. It seems like I get somebody like this with every listing.

First question sent:

"What is the string to string spacing at the bridge? Center to center, not the gap."

My response:

"Are you aware the string spacing is adjustable at the bridge? Do a web search for warwick bass bridges to see how adjustable they are."

His reply:

"Hey, thanks for the reply. It's a nice axe.

Yes, Warwick bass bridges are adjustable but only in a very small range that is limited by the neck taper and overall dimensions of the bridge. That is, the size (width) of the neck/bridge will only allow a certain maximum string spacing. An over wide setup will cause the strings to be too near the fingerboard edge and thus buzz badly.

The standard string spacing for electric basses is 3/4 inch, or 19mm, however some models are manufactured to a smaller dimension for various reasons.

What is the string spacing on your instrument as currently setup?

BTW, you are talking to a pro here.

Thanks"

My last response, couldn't resist being a snarky:

"16mm. Didn't realize I was talking to a pro."

So I'm wondering, why do you need to know the string spacing exactly if you're a "pro" and already know all about these basses?
  2. kreider204

kreider204

As I say to my students: "You know how they say there are no stupid questions? That's not my policy ... "
  3. elgecko

elgecko

Actually,

was kind of snarky. Was it so hard to say "currently set at 16mm" the first time around? You're the one trying to sell something here.
    Schilling and Overloaded like this.
  4. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

I would reply "Most pros know how to use the internet and look up the manufacturers website and see the specs" pro what? wrestler? Are you supposed to be star struck or intending to fool a non pro with your fancy pictures?

When it comes to buying and selling I don't give a crap who you are just have the money and don't tire kick. You post on eBay you are open to the world and although we are running out of clean air, money, food, housing, jobs, douches isn't one of them.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

+1

My first response would have been: "Thank you for your interest. It's currently set at 16mm, and it is adjustable. Please let me know if you have any additional questions."
  7. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

That's about what I'd do too. No need to tell the guy to search the net.
  8. BrokeDownSouth

At that point, I honestly wanted the guy to take a look at how the bridges on a Warwick work rather than scare him off with a string spacing he didn't like.
  9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

But you're still directing him away from your eBay sale page. I suggest not worrying about "scaring" people off. Don't really know what that means in terms of selling a bass? :confused:

+1 to just answering the question with the facts.

When you sell stuff, you'll get lots of window shoppers and more comments. Don't take any of their comments personally. Focus of your goal of selling the bass.
  10. BrokeDownSouth

I thought this was funny but now I feel bad. :(
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're SO frikking rational. That's pretty much along the lines of what I'd've said.
  12. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    +1

There are about 10,000,000 basses on Ebay. Don't give them a reason not to buy yours. Nobody likes someone that tries to make them look stupid.
  13. You have to suck it up - every single day I get daft questions and major tech questions. One guy asked me if I could open up one of my Chinese Omni/cardioid big mics and send him photos of the circuit board as he wanted to modify them if they used the circuit he was hoping. So I did it, took careful pictures showing the switch and component placement. He bought ten, and seeing his username a couple of months later, he'd modified them and sold them for double what he paid. I don't care at all - I sold ten, so did he! You also get sh1tty ones too - "In the picture there is a yellow cable plugged into the mic - what plug does it have on the other end" - Sure, the ad clearly says no cable is supplied, but I always take pictures showing them in use in the studio - so I just explain that the mic doesn't come with a cable, but the one he could see in the studio was XLR to XLR, but this mic would also be able to have a jack plug if his equipment had this connector - and I even gave him a couple of ebay links to the suitable ones. I used to do cables, but the weight messes up our postal services and knocks the postage up far too high. Next day he ordered one. My feedback always has good comms in it. I'll even tell people NOT to buy something if it's not going to work. I don't see why you feel being nice to numpties is bad? The customer is always right (unless, of course, I'm righter!)
  14. rodneyat

rodneyat Supporting Member

Exactly...If I were the potential buyer I would have just moved on, at that point.

Sometimes you've gotta suck it up when you are trying to sell something
  15. nojj

nojj Guest

snarky comments from would-be sellers are a huge turn-off to me as well.
    Just as soon give my money to somebody who doesn't imply I'm an idiot.
    (That right is reserved for Wife of Nojj)
  16. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

There are no stupid questions . . . only stupid people asking questions. :D
  17. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

No need to feel bad. Just a learning experience. I get lot's of stupid questions but try to bite my tongue and answer them politely. It's kind of how you would talk to a 2nd grader if that makes sense.
  18. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

I agree that as the seller, it's best to swallow your pride and give a clear, straightforward, polite response to all questions.

With that said, I get some doozys. My all time favorite was when I sold a pair of Magnepan stereo speakers. I posted large, high-res photos of the front and back of both speakers. I get a very angry e-mail asking which pair is for sale, the white ones or the black ones? Um, the front of the speakers is white. The back of the speakers, where the cables are sticking out and the stand is attached , is black.
    sparkyfender2 likes this.
  19. Ronbassman

Ronbassman

LOL @ Pro
    On the Internet everyone's a Pro in everything, have huge penises, date only super models, and their daily driver cars average the low 9's on a 1/4 mile run.
    sparkyfender2 likes this.
  20. mcnach

mcnach

You're not doing yourself any favours by answering like that. It's a great way to make a potential buyer move on.
    You're not in customer service, are you? :p
  21. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

Just TBers doing their job...:bag: