1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ebay ripoffs... I've had enough!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by reddog, Mar 21, 2014.

1. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Was bidding (and winning) on a bass when... with 1 day to go ... the seller ended the listing and cancelled all bids. She claims that there were "dozens of questions" and she was unable to answer them satisfactorily.
    Bunch of crap ---- Only 3 bids were made. My 1 question was the only 1 posted. Tired of Ebay fraud. Tired of Ebay allowing it. They are partners to the fraud.

2. Dave Grossman

Dave Grossman Supporting Member

That's not the worst of it. Sometimes you'll win an auction and then they've suddenly "lost" the item. Yeah, B.S.

3. byebyejimmy

byebyejimmy

I had one recently where I bought and paid for a bass and then suddenly the seller said "my friend just stopped by and saw the bass on the stand before packaging. He has a case for the bass... would you like to buy it? He used to have the same kind of bass in the 80's but someone stole it, but they left the case behind. There's a similar case for sale on Ebay for £280 - my friend will let you have it for £100"

No thanks mate...

4. booke23

booke23

The stupidest thing about it is that most of the time if the sellers let the auction run to the end, they would get more money (even taking fees into account) than the "off the books" buy it now. Ebay should do something about it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Khronic

Khronic Richard J. Naimish

In striking contrast, more than one billion people in developing nations do not have access to safe drinking water and two billion do not have adequate sanitation (World Health Organization/United Nations Children's Fund, 2005). These figures are expected to increase in the near future.

7. thunderbird66

thunderbird66

Yeah, I won a auction ( or so I thought ) on a killer Ibanez but the seller cancelled. It was a pretty low price but my understanding is that's what reserves are for. No explanation. Won another auction on an Ashdown five fifteen. Another killer price. Kid emails and says the amps not working properly now and doesn't feel comfortable with the sale. Pretty sure both sellers weren't happy with the ending price. BS. I couldn't leave feedback on either. I guess you just do what u want and screw the rules.

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_relative_privation

9. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

This is one of the few justifications for class action suits. Ebay is complicit in a million minor abuses.. We, as individuals, have limited motivation and resources. A law firm needs to rip them a new one on behalf of consumers.

10. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

I won an auction for an ibanez 305 at $113 and the guy wanted to cancel a few minutes after saying "The bass was plugged in again to make sure it was good and it just now stopped working".

I keep that seller on my list and check every few days to see if it goes back online. Not that I can really find him and feed him to his pets but... I can just feel good k oeing hes got some kharma coming his way someday.

11. elgecko

elgecko

It's not a ripoff if they don't get your money. It's a different kind of douchebaggery.

12. Milk

Milk

wow. I've never had anything like that happen but i've never bought anything worth over a 100$ either on ebay either. I wouldn't deal with that sort of crap very well.... I'd probably thro w few insults their way at the risk of getting banned by ebay.

And seriously like someone said, that's what reserve is for.

13. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I had a Roland synth that went off under 10 bucks. I wanted a local deal and it was near Christmas.

And the buyer hit me with PayPal.

But I honored the deal.

14. BawanaRik

The people who are able to post here are usually privileged. Many may not know it.

Thanks for an eye opener that in a world of flats v rounds there are issues of greater import.

15. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I guess I am just lucky, I haven't had any real problems on Ebay. Well, I did buy a neck that was in way worse shape than he made it out to be, but it was pretty cheap in the first place.

16. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

I try not to use ebay for anything other than a price guide anymore. Im trying to sell a bunch of stuff right now and the only way Im able to deal with all the bs, reserves, fees, etc. is concinement eith a local guitar shop. Pay someone else to do ehat you dont want to.

17. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

Anything else I should know about before I go and make decisions that you wouldn't approve? Nah, don't bother.

18. cricman

cricman

It's been proven time and time again that in these cases, the best defence is a good offence. The fact of the matter is what comes around goes around, and the seller will ultimately learn that it is what it is!

cricman

19. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

If you call their customer support, they will sound very helpful, but actually do very little. I had an issue with Stratosphere, the eBayer who sells Fender B-stock and less, now at improved A-stock prices!
    Long story short, the imbecile sold me a 'new neck' which had clearly been detached for quite some time, with the truss cranked all the way. The neck was unplayable. I attacked it pretty hard to bring it in line - leveling frets, filing fall off onto the upper frets, etc. It was unplayable. But I had molested the thing, so it didn't seem fair to demand a refund.
    We agreed to a resolution, which I thought was generous on my part. They would refund $50 in exchange for a positive review. eBay calls this "Ratings Extortion" and they will tell you it's a very serious offense which they will not tolerate. Except they so obviously do.
    The reason I contacted eBay about this? After the generous deal I made with Straosphere, they will not sell to me or answer my emails (and it was quite a hunt to get to their contact info.
    The "good news" is that after a couple months under string tension, the neck is now playable. It's not a very nice neck, and worth nowhere near my final cost, but it's playable. Too many ebay sellers, like Stratosphere are nothing short of scam artists.

20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Keep checking and if they put it back up create another account and bid high on it but don't pay and watch sweet karma bite their arse.

21. BawanaRik

I was the victim of feedback extortion as a seller. The buyer, Tubeschematic from Canada, ran me around the block with the threat of leaving negative feedback. Then after jumping through hoops to make him happy he still burned me.

I spoke with Ebay customer service and they removed the bad feed back.

Not every deal is perfect. But with millions of deal there are bound to be some that go good and some that don't.

Thanks for the warning about Stratosphere. Never did business with them and now I won't.

To be honest I always found that name creepy.