EBay sucks.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by avvie, Oct 4, 2013.

1. avvie

avvie

And charges ridiculous selling fees.

That is all.
  2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

So what?

Regards
    Sam
  3. P Town

P Town Guest

I got screwed on an ebay deal years ago, and quit using ebay, and paypal at the time.

I have less stuff, and more cash because of it.
  4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

It has it's uses. Don't like it, don't use it. If enough people do so, they'll either change or vanish.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mellowinman

mellowinman Not a Clique Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    All of my best gear was acquired on eBay.

I love it.
  7. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Yes, it does - in many ways. No respect for sellers, ridiculous fees and arbitrary rules.

I just can't believe that someone else hasn't come up with a competitor.

Google - are you listening?
  8. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Sold a tuba on the bay a few years ago, since I wasn't an active user I had to wait about a month before getting the cash through paypal. Totally sucked.
  9. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

COOL STARRY BRA
  10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I only buy on eBay. Refuse to sell anything on there!
  11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

I still sell on occasion but used to do a lot more. I think that I'm better off than most newer sellers because I've been there so long, but I really dislike the lopsidedness of their rules now. Way too easy for dishonest buyers to scam sellers.
  12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    A few years ago, the news reported that eBay was changing its business model, away from "America's yard sale" towards being an e-commerce site for regular businesses. This may explain why individual sellers feel like they are being squeezed out.

An individual seller is stuck selling what they've got. A business can choose what to sell based on what works for eBay. My impression is that the most successful eBay businesses are selling things that are brand new, cheap, and difficult to screw up. They probably limit disputes by keeping the price below a level where most people just won't bother exercising the buyer protections.

Businesses can figure the fees into the cost of doing business, and can also afford to cover having some of their money held in escrow by eBay.

When eBay started, it seemed like a great way to sell gear, and I suspect it also fueled a bump in new gear sales, because folks figured that they could flip their gear to fuel their GAS. But musical instruments have a lot of problems from the standpoint of e-commerce. The condition of an instrument is subjective. There are possible hidden flaws such as truss rods. Shipping is a hassle (talk about fees). And some unscrupulous buyers have apparently figured out how to game the rules. They probably know what product categories generate the most disputes.

I suspect that eBay is still a good business, but just not a place to sell music gear.
  13. macrocheesium

macrocheesium

I thought it was only ~10%. Has it gone up recently?
  14. BrokeDownSouth

BrokeDownSouth Supporting Member

I still sell on eBay just because of the level of traffic. CL is good, but obviously is limited to locals. I want to give Etsy.com a try, but the exposure seems limited. I can't believe Google hasn't come up with something yet.
  15. avvie

avvie

Ftr I tried selling here first...straight to the target market! Didn't have any success. EBay moved things quickly and promised no fees before I posted. After the sale they docked my Paypal with charges. Well before posting an add I sid the snooping around and even tried to contact EBay to ask them to post any fees or at least how to calculate them. Got no response, but that link was conveniently included in the fees charge notice. Clever.
  16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I haven't needed to use eBay in a long time, but the regular threads around here about how much it sucks are disappointing. I remember when it was *the* place to buy and sell online.

-Mike
  17. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

At least eBay still sucks....can't say the same for.....nevermind
  18. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Supporting Member

This and the dispute thread are pretty much running parallel at the moment. The thing is there is a wonderful alternative to eBay in place already- and you're on it right. Every hobby/activity/interest you can think of has at least one forum devoted to it, w/ the vast majority of them incorporating site-based Classifieds. The 'problem' of using this outlet vs. eBay is that you are targeting not only a smaller, but (at least in the forum members' eyes) more knowledgeable, and hopefully, more trustworthy, consumer base. The issue then becomes one of 'the deal'- and we all know what that is, so I won't go into it further. With eBay, on the other hand, one can sell goods for a (perceived) higher price, but this is then offset by additional fees, feedback fears, and the quite real possibility of being hosed by literally everyone else involved in the transaction.

Personally guys and gals, I've done the math, I've had the headaches, and I'm done w/ eBay- at least as a seller. As a buyer, there's still some great deals to be had- it's a frickin' buyer's paradise w/ the right piece of kit. But never again as a seller. Never again.

Just my thoughts and ramblings. Carry on.

Rob
    :bassist:
  19. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I used to make a nice side income buying, fixing, and reselling gear on ebay. That was 10 years ago at least. Since they've gone to the new business model I haven't sold anything for a long time. I just use it for casual purchases these days.
  20. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

It sucks for selling, which I haven't done in a couple of years. I've had pretty good luck as a buyer and have picked up some nice gear in the process. As far as I'm concerned, TB is the best place for selling.
  21. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

What do you use instead?