1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Eberhard Weber

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by JohnBarr, Dec 5, 2007.

1. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

There is an interview with Eberhard Weber published in All About Jazz
    http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=27421

Weber sufferd a stroke early this year.
    He cancelled to tour with Jan Garbarek's group. I have not had any other word on his condition.
    I know we all wish him well.

This interview is not dated, so I don't know when it was originally done or if it is recent. If it is recent, there is no mention of his health. It was sometime after his recent "Stages of a long journey" in 2005.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Oh man, that's too bad. I met him many years ago, in his band with Charlie Mariano. What a superb band that was. He was quite serious, but very cordial to a young college kid with a lot of questions about the bass.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member

That is a real shame - I saw him play with Jan Garbarek's band on their last UK tour and he was in fine form, great rhythm section with Marilyn Masur and lovely melodic playing! I was sitting in the front row and he seemed to be in the best of health then.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

I realized after my earlier post that Damon had made us aware of Mr. Weber's condition back in August in these forums. Slipped my mind. A Google search suggests that he's making a recovery and continuing to compose new music. I hope that's the case.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Ah - well I hope to see him on another UK tour soon! :)

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

I think he inspired me more than any other bass player.
    He's a truely talented, no concession artist.

8. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

I'm jealous Bruce. That group would never make it to this side of the Atlantic. I doubt Weber has been here since some time in the 80s and I doubt Garbarek will make it at all (I may be wrong but I don't think he even made it here when Officium was so popular and the Hilliards were touring).

Eberhard's "Endless Days" has grown into one of my favorites over the past couple years. As well as Orchestra.

It's a good interview. I've heard Eberhard described more than once as "serious" (which does not mean he is without humor).
    I thought his comments on Gary Peacock were interesting (actually the comments are on Peacock's situation in the Jarrett trio, not his playing or him personally).

9. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

I saw him at the Empty Bottle here in Chicago in 1996 or so. Right after college. I'm not sure who the lineup was but it was a killin' show. It was billed as some kind of 'German All Star' band. That was my introduction to him. I was not disappointed.

There was some kind of video or something being made too. There was a large film crew there. I wonder if it ever was released.

10. Bruce Lindfield

I did a quick search, as I thought this gig was recent - but looking back here :

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152865

It was in 2004 - how time flies! :eek:

I remember It was very exciting - so whereas Jan Garbarek's recordings seem to have got more "sterile" - the live quartet were very lively and improvisatory - so nothing like US Jazz, unique in their own way - although I think the energy was mostly down to Marilyn Masur who sparked the other players to greater heights - especially Eberhard Weber - who sat centre stage and was almost like "featured soloist" ! :)

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Sorry to hear about Mike diPasqua's health (in the interview). His younger brother Pete is a drummer as well, he was more involved in the family business when I met him, but still very swinging and creative player.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Thanks for posting that link Ed - that interview was fascinating and as they say, positive and optimistic. It was also useful in terms of thinking about getting to a hospital very quickly if anything like that happens to you!