1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

EBMM Bass consistency

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BullHorn, Apr 6, 2014.

1. BullHorn

BullHorn

I have a chance to trade my 2009 Stingray for a 2000 Stingray5.

I'm more of a Fender guy so my knowledge in MusicMan history is lacking.

Are there particular years to avoid or anything else I should be aware of?

2. inate_hex

inate_hex

Just one thing to make you aware of if you didn't already know. The 2000 model of stingray 5 has the more aggressive sounding ceramic pickups that you find in the sterling models. Your current stingray will have the alnico pickups.

3. steveinohio

steveinohio Supporting Member

Buy it. Love it. Be done with it.

4. BullHorn

BullHorn

Wow, more aggressive than my already very aggressive bass? What a coincidence, exactly the 2000 model... Good to know, thanks for posting! His bass has the 3-way position switch as well while mine doesn't, that's another difference I could see.

I often play pumping 8th-note root basslines and to tell the truth they don't sound as good on my Stingray as they do on my Precisions. It probably has a lot to do with my picking above the pickup, so the position on the Stingray is closer to the bridge and isn't as bassy.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Musicman20

Musicman20

I personally think EBMM's have got better as their technology has progressed.

You can't go wrong with a brand new build.

One thing you used to get was a little figuring on the neck. That type of wood isn't as common now so you have to either get lucky (as I did with a Ray H...a little flame and birdseye present) or opt for a Classic Ray/Sterling/Sabre ;)

7. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Exactly.

Exactly.

Also, the SR5 3-way switch will give you the same Parallel coil mode as your current SR, and then it will add Single Coil (bridge side) mode, and Series mode.

Series mode REALLY brings out the beast in that bass!

8. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

It's not only the 2000 model. I always forget the starting year, but IIRC it's the 93'-08' basses with the ceramic pickup.

9. StuartV

I always forget the start year, too. But, the last year of ceramics in the SR5 was 2007. The Sterling 5 came out in 2008 (with ceramics) and the SR5 went back to alnico at the same time.

10. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

That's exactly what I meant whether it came out that way or not :)

11. BullHorn

BullHorn

I got the S/N, E14008

According to EB customer support:
    "Stingray 5 H Trans Teal May 3rd, 2000, maple neck, ceramic pickup sold to Matt Umanov Guitars in NY."

In the photos it was natural color! It is probably safe to assume that he sanded the finish off until he reached the wood, right?
    He's bringing the bass in a few minutes... I'm not sure how it affects the value of the bass.

-EDIT: Trade complete. The guy claimed he has no idea about the body color difference.

I love the way it feels and weighs (4.5kg or 9.9lbs) for a 5-string. I'll have to play it more to know if I love the sound but so far, I like it more than my 'Ray. And hopefully, I end up loving it long enough to not worry about re-selling it with a 3rd-party body.

-EDIT2: Obligatory picture, my old 4 and my new 5:

[​IMG]

-EDIT3: A quick Google search showed that this is how the Stingray5 body and horns are supposed to be shaped/cut. Maybe the EBMM support made a mistake?..

12. StuartV

Looks to me like it was simply refinished in "natural". I.e. it's the original body with the original paint stripped/sanded off. Then possibly clear coated.

13. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

I've had a few EBMMs, and while I will say that their build quality is consistently superior to Fender, they are still a mass-produced instrument, so if you have five hanging on a wall, you'll notice differences. I would never buy one new without playing it first (Used, sure - I can always resell it - but new? Nah).

14. BullHorn

BullHorn

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks like there's traces of Teal in the neck pocket... So you guys are right, I think it was sanded down and then clear coated.

It has a strange issue where notes sound louder about half a second after I pluck and I hope it is because the strings are old.

That's how it looks when I record it in Audacity:
    [​IMG]

15. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

How old is the battery? (Sorry, it must be asked)

16. BullHorn

BullHorn

It sounds the same with a different battery.

I ordered some strings from bassstringsonline.com but they'll only arrive in 1-3 weeks...

Hopefully it's not the bridge/nut/frets/electronics.

17. godsey

godsey

Doesnt that neck look to be quartersawn maple?

18. StuartV

Make sure the bass output jack and your amp's input jack are clean.

19. StayLow

StayLow

OP - Nice bass. Hope it works out for you.

I hope no one minds the side-track... Stingray 4-string pickups are not wired in series? Have people tied them in series and if so what's the main difference(s) please?

Thanks.

20. BullHorn

BullHorn

StuartV, the outputs are clean. I will keep praying it is an issue with the strings...

Once the strings arrive I'll take the opportunity to open the pickguard up and spray the pots and 3-way switch some some Kontakt 60 but if there's still strange blooming/phasing after that... I'll have to take it to a professional...

It doesn't sound much like a Stingray at all. I can't hear much of the Stingray-signature-tone coming out of it, even when I boost the highs to full. Going to blame the strings here as well.. I'll upload a recording in a few minutes for you guys to hear.

21. BullHorn

BullHorn

Here's the SR5 with the Treble at 100%, trying to get the signature tone out...
    https://soundcloud.com/bullhorn/stingray5errrr
    1st playthrough is with the pickup in Parallel.
    2nd playthrough is with the pickup in Series
    3rd thing is how I discovered the 7th fret on the G string is dead... I thought this was a Fender-exclusive issue?

I'd expect a lot more ray-zing with the treble on 100%