1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

EBMM Music Man Basses...why so much $?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Sorr, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr Bass Guitar Supporting Member

I've always been a fan of Music Man Basses and would love to buy a new Stingray, but I just can't justify spending in the ballpark of $1500. I once bought a brand new, trans teal and maple fingerboard with a transparent pick-guard Stingray for around $750. It was a gorgeous instrument and reasonably priced at the time, but I see the same bass on eBay going used for more than I paid new. These are not vintage instruments, they are Stingrays from the 90s. Why are EBMM Basses so expensive...I'd say overpriced? I mean, I see some of the Indonesian SBMM versions going for what I paid for a new EBMM. I understand inflation, but double? Seems ridiculous to me. What do you say?
  2. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft Supporting Member

Not to be snide, but they are priced that high because people perceive them to be worth that much. As long as they sell as many as they feel they need to, EB will continue to raise prices. When sales drop off too much, prices will stagnate or lower.
  3. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

That's YOUR opinion. I kind of understand how you feel though. I LOVE my 2001 SR5 that I got USED for $850 in a local deal. I have also owned brand new SR5 basses that I paid in the $1600+ range. The reason the difference in price? For me, it would be to be able to order the exact color, neck and pickup config that I want. Would I ever buy new again? Maybe, but I'm pretty happy with what I got right now.
  4. Erik Turkman

Erik Turkman Supporting Member

I also have wondered why new EBMM basses cost so much. I've had a few of them over the years, both four and five string models, and I never paid more than $750 for one. Used ones used to be available for under $500. It's not like EBMM has done a bunch of R&D lately or changed their materials. I love a good sounding Stingray, but at $1,500 and over, it just doesn't seem appropriate. I wonder if the introduction of the SBMM line caused EBMM to raise their prices?
  5. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

I'm not sure when you all think they RAISED prices. I started buying EBMM SR5 basses new back in 2007, and I was paying $1600+ depending on how many pickups.
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

American workers with their pesky first world wages are more expensive than the third world countries that a lot of the competition uses.

I'm glad that there are high quality American made instruments available for purchase, and not everything is made in a sweatshop with horrible working conditions for unsustainably low wages.
  8. Mike Sorr

I understand the need to keep up with the economy and such, but double? My trans teal Stingray is one of those basses I regret parting with...even if it was in a trade for a 72 Jazz Bass...and I would love to own another one, but I can not justify paying upwards of $1000 for a 20 year old non-vintage used bass that I once bought new for much less. I have the some complaint about Rickenbackers. I owned two of them back in the day and never paid more than $500 and usually less. Try to find one for under $1000 used now, and forget buying new. The prices of American made instruments is out of control. The possible exception is Carvin.
  9. Mike Sorr

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

How are they expensive relative to other American guitars?

A new passive Fender American Standard is $1349 and a new active American Deluxe is $1700. A new passive Gibson Thunderbird is $1500.

A new active Stingray is $1400-1500.

Not sure how that is expensive relative to other brands.

When did you buy a new one for $750? In the mid '80's? If not, you got a great deal as a new SR hasn't been under a grand new for a long long time.
  11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

So you don't understand the economics of business or you don't appreciate the cost vs value of the stingray. Doesn't sound like an issue other than it being against your personal beliefs. EBMM are far from overpriced. they are one of the most consistent values in their price range.

I honestly doubt EBMM could even get these to retailers for $750 and still turn a realistic profit.
  12. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Don't blame the music gear companies. Blame us! It is us, the buying public, who determines what items will sell for. As long as there are buyers who will pay the prices, those will be the prices.

So that "lunacy" (if indeed that's what it is) is coming from us! That's right, *WE* are the lunatics! All of us!

Most of what humans come up with is lunacy anyway. It's not limited to music gear. We humans have created such incredible things like the ice capades, shoes with flashing lights in them, television, shopping malls, and various belief systems that boggle the mind! Might as well get used to it. It's life on Earth, with humans. ;)
  13. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

They've come down in price since 2001 when I bought my first one new. Mine would be about $300 less today...
  14. JSpradBass

JSpradBass

I purchased a trans teal/maple neck single H new in 2006 for around $1200. I purchased a honey burst/maple neck HH new this year for $1400 with a coupon from MF. Seemed reasonable to me especially considering the current pricing of equivalent Fender & G&L offerings.
  15. Mike Sorr

Indeed, it is against my personal beliefs to pay several hundred dollars more for a used instrument than I paid new for the exact same instrument a mere 15 years ago. As I said, these are not rare or vintage collector grade instruments.

I understand the business economics of raising the prices on new instruments to keep up with the times. If they can get what they're asking, more power to them. I personally would never pay $1500 for a new Stingray and having bought these new in the not so distant past, I exercise my right as an old fogey to bitch about it. Especially when the SBMM versions are, in my opinion, every bit as well made for the price (and virtually identical sonically). Of course, I also refuse to spend more than $20 on a new pair of jeans, so maybe I'm just old fashioned.
  16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Stingrays setup so much better than Fenders and the necks are beautiful (especially the maple fretboards!) I think EBMM's are priced accordingly with other pro quality basses. Overall though, I think these (CNC'd) instruments are overpriced but it is what it is!
  17. GYang

GYang

I have two Stingrays 5, both 20th Anniversary Editions (H and HH) which I bought used, but looking totally as new for 1800 $ each.
    I think they are among few best basses I've ever played (comparable in sound to best older SRs). I believe the price paid is bargain when compared to playability and sound.
  18. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Have you ever typed in rickenbacker 4003 in eBay. Apparently being 3 years old makes them go up in value.
  19. Jookbox

Jookbox Registered Drummer Supporting Member

$750 from 1990 is the same as $1350 or so today. Musicians Friend sells Stingrays for $1470. So there's some markup since then, but not like you're making it out to be.
  20. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

:confused: