EBMM Sterling HS vs Fender PJ - 5 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bvdrummer, Mar 27, 2014.

1. bvdrummer

bvdrummer Supporting Member

Hello All, I'll try to keep this short!

I have a Bongo 5 HH which I love & I'm GASing for a certain EBMM Sterling 5 HS (online so I can't play it, but I have played other Sterlings before and I remember liking them a lot). I also have an option to buy my dad's (discontinued) Fender American Deluxe P5 (active) with the bridge humbucker.

If I didn't already have the Bongo I know I would pick the Sterling hands down. But I'm wondering if the Sterling and Bongo will sound too similar and be redundant, and if the Fender would be more versatile.

Any advice? BTW I like to play modern rock, hard rock, contemporary Christian, some Dream Theater. I play finger style - rarely use a pick, and I slap for fun but not good enough to do it in a song :D

2. bvdrummer

On a side note:

Why did EBMM name their import line Sterling when they have a USA made model called the Sterling? It makes google searching so much more difficult :spit:

3. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

I have both a Bongo 5HH & a Sterling 5HS maple... too VERY different beasts surprisingly.

Warm vs Super aggressive.

I have a Carvin PJ on order so gimmie 2 weeks & I'll compare all 3 ha ha !

4. bvdrummer

Cool thanks for the input Tunaman. Do you mean the Sterling is the more aggressive of the two? I've never A/B'd the Bongo and the Sterling.

That Carvin PJ looks cool except I prefer the 17.5 mm spacing. (I have 2 Carvin guitars but no basses) I don't know why Fender discontinued just the 5 string PJ and not the 4 :/

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I love a good P bass. But, for a 5-string, I would take a Sterling every time.

7. bvdrummer

Yeah StuartV I agree in that the low B is more powerful on the MM.

Well, I just caved and ordered the Sterling HS because this one was too pretty and rare to pass up (all rosewood neck). NBD next week!!!

Thanks for the advice guys.

8. bvdrummer