EBMM StingRay 4 (2009, 3-band EQ) - Tone issues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BullHorn, Mar 23, 2014.

1. BullHorn

BullHorn

Ever since I got my EBMM StingRay I've had a hard time using it with my band. Nobody likes the way it sounds in the mix and I can't figure how to make it sound good. I do like the way it sounds on it's own.

What I did notice is that when I use one of my passive Fender Precisions, I usually set the volume to around 2.5 on the amplifier but when I use the StingRay, I have to raise the volume up to 5-6. I replaced the battery and set it up according to guides I found online (I've been setting up all my basses for over 5 years now).

In the mix, it usually sounds 'weak'. If I boost the lows it just becomes muddy. If I boost the highs, they become harsh/unbearable.

Help me or else I'll have to sell it. I don't want to do because it's my most comfortable bass and it weighs only 3.6kg!

2. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

--Try, slightly cutting the bass and treble (or at least keep them flat) and boost the mids. And there are different areas of "mids" that can get you different tones. If you want more perceived lows, boost 100 to 250 hz, for more middle mids 500 hz, and more perceived highs 1.2 to 2.4 kHz. Get an eq pedal to hit those frequencies if your amp doesn't have a graphic.

By the way, I'm not positive because I don't have a 3 band Ray (I just have the SUB Ray import that is based on the 2 band classic), but it has a sort of naturally scooped sound, where P basses (I have 3) have a more mid range natural boost to them..which is why I boost the frequencies that I do, on my pseudo ray.

3. BullHorn

BullHorn

I'll have to look into getting a proper EQ pedal.

I just made a recording with the Ampeg flat and the bass pre-amp flat, apart from a slight hi-cut due to new string+pick noise...

https://soundcloud.com/bullhorn/stingray-test

It sounds pretty good when I record it but something goes terribly wrong when I play on it live with any amplifier (I tried 4 different amplifiers in 3 different rehearsal-studios)