ebonal success

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by harpguy74, Mar 13, 2014.

1. harpguy74

harpguy74

a few weeks ago I put a cheap mighty might fretless neck on my mim 60s jazz to see if I likes it before I invested in a bass or a defret. loved the sound but the fingerboard was like a ruffles chip so it buzzed like crazy even with high action some notes were nearly unplayable.last night i took it off and spend a few hours sanding it with a radius block. 280grit then 1000 then 2000. it was grey after as i have read about so i polished it with a rag and a dab of tung oil. it looks better than it did before i did the job and i was able to get it down to 2mm at the 12th without any buzzing at all.
  2. ejmy

ejmy

The correct spelling is ebanol. I know it's not that important but it will show up in search engines.
  3. Kevin Woods

Kevin Woods Supporting Member

Honestly, I don't think it was ever "ebanol". The characteristics of ebony wood was the goal, and as far as I recall it was "ebonol" that was used. I know that when the Gary Willis bass came out that used it, the Ibanez GWB 1005, the manufacturer spelled it "ebonol". And Gary's site still says "ebonol" for the GWB35. That being said, probably 75% of guys on TB use some variant spelling. But I will refrain from getting too schoolmarmish about it, ha ha.

My 2 cents.

Cheers.
  4. Five String

Five String Supporting Member

Was it lined or unlined? If lined, didn't the sanding sand the lines off? I don't care how it's spelled.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ejmy

ejmy

I stand corrected, lol
  7. Fat n Fretless

Fat n Fretless

I put one of those necks on a Suier Jag HB. Thought it would be a good marriage and it sounds great. You may have got a bad 'un. I've got my neck relief at about 2mm. It took ages for the neck to shift when I adjusted the truss rod but after a week or two it seemed stable. The nut was HUGE, about 1/4" high. Now I've seen to it the strings sit so deep it's crazy. It's only crappy plastic so I need to pull it and make a bone one some time.
    Anyway, the neck is fin and suits my cheapskate style. One other thin about Ebonol. Even with flats, the strings mark the fretboard where you hold the strings down and after a while you get dull dots like fingerprints all over the neck - much worse than my rosewood fretless. It does show which note you don't play often, particularly up the dusty end. It'll need a polish once in a while but I'm surprised Tung oil works. I was thinking of metal polish as that is what's used to shine plexiglass.