1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ebony fretboard

Discussion in 'The Perfect Bass' started by HeyMikey, Oct 1, 2012.

1. HeyMikey

HeyMikey

I have never played a bass that has an ebony fretboard. I have several basses with rosewood fretboards and 3 with maple fretboards.

IMO I think the basses with maple sound a bit brighter than those with rosewood.

Would an ebony fretboard sound different from either the rosewood or maple? How would you describe the tone given by having an ebony fretboard.

Thanks
    Mike

2. ThePerfectBass

ThePerfectBass Supporting Member

Ebony is very hard, kind of similar to maple in tone...maybe on the bright side of maple... Keep in mind though, each piece of wood is different... We can describe general characteristics of tonewoods, but that doesn't mean that in the end, a guitar will sound like you "expect" it to sound... ;)

Peace!

3. HeyMikey

HeyMikey

Thanks for the information. I may give the ebony a try.

Mike

4. drnknmstr

drnknmstr

I was really into the idea of ebony on a bass, but I was disappointed. There's a nice growl to it, but it seems to have a certain harshness in the upper mids.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thebandcircle

thebandcircle

For a fretless bass, ebony is the next best thing to a composite fingerboard. On a fretted instrument, I notice tapping notes to be clear and pluck-y. Played fingerstyle, you have to dig-in hard to hear its character shine! Great balance of punch and clarity that is consistent with volume increases. Any quacky-ness can be eq'ed out of the upper-mids...

7. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

I have an Ebony Reflex HH5 coming in guys...
    Thanks for the tips you posted here

It will be interesting to see if plays out like you say... the thing with the Reflex is that the diverse EQ should allow compensation like band circle said

8. uptowndirt

uptowndirt Supporting Member

l have an ebony board alembic and love the sound, most of
    my others are rosewood. l like the tone of the alembic, and
    then rosewood, maple is just not my thing and l don't find the ebony to be overly bright, on this bass anyway, l think
    there are other things that account for the sound of a bass l find the board to be more about the playability. and ebony
    is great to play on.

9. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

All my basses have a thick slab of ebony on the fretboard and they all sound great. How much is to do with the ebony I can't say but the two basses I have with maple bodies and necks with ebony fretboards have more high end sizzle than the others.