1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

eBook "Double Thumb technique for electric bass - Carlo Chirio"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Carlo CN, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Carlo CN

Carlo CN

Hi everyone,
    I'd like bring to your attention my newly-published method: Double Thumb Technique for electric bass by Carlo Chirio.

here (http://carlochirio.webnode.it/didattica/ ) a couple of pages of examples and mp3.

Here, a video link and an exercise:

there is anyone that may be interested in doing a review of the ebook?
    I've thought of sending 3 copies free of charge to the first three people that write a review. Please, let me know your e-mail address, thanks!

2. Carlo CN

Carlo CN

In my opinion the two techniques (traditional slap and double thumb) have two different approach and different sound.
    I compare the double thumb technique with the pick's technique.

3. GastonD

GastonD

Well, Wooten himself points that he will "anchor" the movement at the wrist OR elbow OR thumb joint OR even shoulder. Chuck Rainey also professes slapping mainly from the elbow.

The author points, after all, that the double thumb approach differs from the typical slapping style, hence the provided video examples.

That said, the book is done rather good. The technical development is set up progressively and gradually adds new elements. What I likes especially was the application of the technique to play the bass lines to some real world songs, appropriately chosen for each phase of the technical development.

Also cool are the study examples that attempt to show the stylistic approaches of various players to the utilization of this technique (Wooten, Caron, Miller), plus, the author manages to squeeze in some applied music theory in the form of scales and triad arpeggios.

While at the first glance this eBook may not look like much with 30 pages, it will take you a while to digest the presented material to some proficiency level. On top of that, having the videos to demonstrate some technical details is always a plus.

All in all - pretty good work :bassist:

4. Carlo CN

Carlo CN

thanks GastonD, you've caught my intentions perfectly! :hyper:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Carlo CN

Carlo CN