eBooks vs Paper books

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Jan 27, 2014.

?

eBooks vs Paper books

Poll closed Feb 26, 2014.
  1. eBooks

15 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. Paper books

26 vote(s)
    59.1%
  3. I haven't read a book since one was assigned to me in school

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

There's been a thread on this but it's 4 years old so I'm curious about the current opinions of moderate to avid readers.

I use the kindle app on my ipad mini. Haven't purchased a paper book in years.

Who's still buying paper books rather than eBooks?
  2. Topspin

Topspin

I like the feel and smell of an actual book. I also don't like having to charge my books. ;)
  3. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Love my eBooks. They go with me everywhere, so I have them all the time. On my phone, my laptops, and once I get a tablet on there too. I enjoy being able to read anywhere, and without an extra light source when it's dark. Just a lot more convenient for me. I don't "miss" the feel, smell or texture of a physical book at all.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

No paper for me.

-Mike
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Torn on this. For actual reading, I like paper books better. However, I vastly prefer digital editions when I need to make citations a lot, like when I write a paper for uni. Copy and paste is already convenient, but full text search is such a killer feature when you're writing yourself, it's ridiculous. No more 'I knew this passage was somewhere around here' when you look for a source (which is bound to happen even if you gather your citations beforehand).

That only goes for proper digital editions of scientific documents and books.

I don't usually read fiction, but when I do, I prefer paper.
  7. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long Supporting Member

All digital. I actually got a big, paper book as a gift - and I couldn't read it. A burden to carry with me and read on the go, heavy and uncomfortable to hold, impossible to read in bed with the pages flipping spontaneously etc.
  8. Lady Kayri

Lady Kayri

I didn't vote because for me it is about half eBook and half dead tree books. Most novels and non fiction without lots of illoes, the Kindle paper white is what I use. For music books, and stuff with illustrations, paper books. I also have quite a few older books in my personal library that aren't available as eBooks yet.
  9. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I like my Kindle Paperwhite, and do use it a lot.

Still prefer the feel of a book in hand tho.
  10. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

They both have their own appeal for me. Digital rocks because I can read books I can't find anywhere locally and I can read them anywhere on any device. I still prefer to have hard copies of the books I really like and manuals for stuff, though. Lending paper books is also easier for me since I'm one of maybe two people I know who have digital books.
  11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I still prefer paper books but only because I'm not fully comfortable taking electronic devices in the bathroom.
  12. delta7fred

delta7fred

Technical/reference books always paper, fiction I am happy with eBooks.

I asked my librarian daughter what her take was on eBooks. She said that despite the fact that most library staff mourn the inevitable passing of paper books most now sit in the staff room at lunch time reading their Kindles.
  13. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

i prefer ebooks for research and print books for pleasure reading. since so much of my reading is for pleasure these days, i voted for print (paper) books.
  14. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

^^ This ^^
  15. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    I have simply run out of space for paper books, so it's ebooks for me every time now. I still like my own personal library of paper books, though.

It's only a matter of time until you have e-paper books and can load the paper with whatever you want. That will be perfect.
  16. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Got a Kindle for Christmas. I really like it. I can download a lot of the classics for free. Just got "The Strange Case of Edwin Drood" by Dickens. I still love books but the Kindle is great for traveling and always having available.
    I'm a new convert.
  17. Gorn Captain

The free books are a huge plus. There's a massive amount of great classics that are public domain. My favorite classic, The Count of Monte Cristo, costs nothing on the kindle. It's a good deal.
  18. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

You can also get free contemporary books. The free books are usually the first in a series. I also like downloading free samples by authors I haven't read. Prevents me from buying something I won't read.
  19. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

^This^. I collect books (sort of), and I've yet to see an autographed first edition of an ebook - 'tho I suppose it's just a matter of time. :rolleyes: My sister and brother are big ebook fans, and constantly trying to convert me; my main argument for sticking to real books (aside from the smell, feel, and collector value) is that most-almost all, in fact-of the authors I really like are simply not available for ebooks. Try Edgar Rice Burroughs' books, for example, or Leslie Charteris (the Saint); simply can't be had for an ebook. :rollno: If I could get the books I like to read on an ebook, I might get one; lots of people here at work have them, and read on their breaks; but they all seem to like the latest releases, which don't hold much interest for me.
  20. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Albums:
    I'm about half and half. I've had a Kindle for a few years now and really enjoy reading on it but at the same time, I still love to browse so I still go to the bookstore and pick up paper books. One thing that has changed with me is that I no longer like to keep a bunch of books. I used to have 5 large book cases that were filled to capacity; I've since donated down to two cases and don't plan on getting any more. When I'm done with a paper book I just send it to work with my wife and she leaves them in the break room for anyone that wants them. They usually don't last long.
  21. Gorn Captain