1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

EBS amps

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by iwearpumas, Nov 5, 2012.

1. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Does anybody play EBS amps? The don't sell them in my area.

2. Slaymus

Slaymus Supporting Member

I have a TD660.
    It's overpriced and underpowered
    compared to similar product on the market.
    It really opens up at 2 ohms. IMHO, it lacks some punch in a single 4 ohms 410 for high volume application.
    BUT, the treble is really clear and sweet sounding, imho
    more than the Demeter 201s that I had.
    Also the onboard compressor is really good.
    The drive section change the overall character of the amp and tighten the midrange.
    I like the Eq section :
    bass EQ point at 100hz
    and the versatile high end : treble (6kHz) and bright (10kHz).
    So its great for my solo playing, but would not be my first choice for a rock setup.

My brand new amp had a small buzz, which was corrected
    by some resoldering on the preamp board. Now everything Ok.

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I play mostly Mesa, but I have to say that I've been impressed with every EBS product I've played thru - can't go wrong with 'em, IMO...

- georgestrings

4. freu

freu

yes i play one.

your question ?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KJung

KJung

Played an HD350 and TD650 (now called the 660) for a while.

+1 to all of the above. For the price, the relatively low wattage into 4ohms, the three rack space size (!), the 660 is a dud. Into 4ohms, the HD350 performs about the same, and is much smaller and only two rack spaces. The drive control on the HD350 is solid state, whereas the 660 has a switchable solid state/tube drive, but I found the SS circuit to sound better.

Very nice, uber modern tone, lots of upper treble sizzle, and some nice features (cab emulation on the DI, GREAT limiter, and a unique semi-parametric mid control with a wider Q for boosting and narrower Q for cutting, all the way down to notch for DB feedback control at full cut).

That all being said, underpowered and overpriced versus other offerings on the market (at least in the US).

IMO and IME

Edit: The Fafner is a bit of different thing.. more 'rock' voiced. Never spent any meaningful time with that head.

7. Tonegasm

Tonegasm Supporting Member

I had a ridiculous deal on the table for a new EBS Fafner II. I ended up going with an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500. It has a bit less wattage but the tone and size make up for it.

EBS products sound great. I have a MultiComp on my board and always have it on. But the amps are grossly overpriced and underpowered in comparison to the competition. I really wanted to go with Fafner II just because of the tonal options and bad ass look, but I couldn't.

8. KJung

KJung

One option for the OP is the new lightweight offering (Reidmer or whatever it is called). Very affordable (about $450 or so), pretty much the same front end as the HD350 from the looks of it. Not a micro, but relatively small and lightweight. Seems like a good option if you want that modern, sizzly type EBS tone and don't need massive power.

I didn't get to play it at NAMM last year, but it felt and looked very high quality... nicely made, and most who have played them are impressed, based on a couple threads on this site.

9. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

I use the EBS 1V2, which is a rack mount preamp, so power is obviously not an issue. Super reliable (bought it used in 1997 or so) very open sounding, minimal noise, lots of connections, very nice compressor etc.

I used to own both the Classic 60 combo (very good for the price) and the original Drome (less impressive).

10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I like their sound but have been reluctant to buy them because the closest store that sells them is 100 miles away from my house. I almost bought a used Fafner head with a 2x10 and 1x15 bottom last year. The seller needed money and agreed to sell them to me for $1,200 for everything. He backed out at the last minute and put them on consignment at a local store for $2,500. They have been there for over a year. I decided to stick with Ampeg.

11. vin*tone

vin*tone

Yes.

12. ursus

ursus Supporting Member

EBS Reidmar is a great amp for the money. Used mine back and forth for a year now, also playing a PUMA 500 and a Glock Blue Soul

13. Duke21

Duke21

My step son have a T90 head and the 4x10" neo cab from EBS.
    The T90 is a 100W all tube head. Great tone!!
    I use the EBS Multicomp and I like it very much.

The Reidmar looks great and from the EBS website I'll guess the Reidmar is a load 250W amp. From what they say it sound like they user the same technology as TC regarding the power handling.

Btw, EBS is quite cheap in Norway, luckily, as EBS is Swedish.

14. ursus

ursus Supporting Member

Yeah it's a very loud 250W

15. Gabaghoul

Gabaghoul

Can you achieve that same gritty growl from the Reidmar that I hear in the FAfnerII or is that just not possible?

Also, I heard that the HD360 and Reidmar preamps are almost identical. I'm assuming I can get sounds comparable. What about something like the TD660? Is the Redimar an admirable substitute for either?

16. ursus

ursus Supporting Member

I have not played the FafnerII but I have owned both the HD 350 and TD 650 and sound are alike both these amps but with a little more warmth. If the power is enough for you I can´t tell but it is for me. I have played Reidmar with my two Aguilar SL 1x12 and my EBS Neloline 212 cab and it is loud enough for the pubs/restaurants/partys I play.

17. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

I stumbled across them when I was living in France, and my favorite music store in Nice happened to have a Drome on the floor when I was looking for a compact combo. I was just amazed by the tone and power of that tiny thing, bought it, and later invested in an HD350/Neo212, which is plenty of power and range even for large outdoor stages. Expensive, but very very nice, to my ears. Only built-in compressor circuit that I've actually found to sound good on an amp - though there are many boutique amps I've never tried. EBS' Drome/Gorm/HD series are very hi-fi and are considered slapper amps by some, but I love them for my own percussive variant of fingerstyle, and they're big with Swedish death-metal bands. Go figure.

18. Gabaghoul

Gabaghoul

Good to know. I currently use a Walter Woods head and an Epifani 212 which does have a tweeter and attenuator for it. Wondering if that cab would get me the sizzle I'm looking for...that EBS hifi grit and sizzle....if I go with the Reidmar.

19. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

I had an HD350 head.
    I loved that amp :crying:

20. Duke21

Duke21

Maybe because EBS is Swedish? And it is probably the Fafner which they use.

21. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    What ever happened to that $1300 EBS T90/410 deal? Did I miss my opportunity there? :(