EBS Billy Sheehan Overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by duderus, Jan 10, 2013.

1. duderus

duderus

www.basscentral.com/2003/ebs.shtml

I am thinking of getting this od for two purposes 1.) use the compression for a lot ( good idea? It's adjustable ) 2.) try out this idea if overdrive.

What is funny I already have one clean cab and one dirty when using effects. I currently use a boss od. Should I just get a mean compressor for my rack, this pedal, or a better stomp compressor.

I only have use for the comp on some slap stuff. I thought Billy's new pedal may serve two purposes. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Thanks.

2. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

already a thread about this

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

If you are going to go to the trouble to play forum hall monitor, the least you could do is post a link to the thread you are talking about...

4. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

TalkBass: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/new-ebs-bass-pedal-945246/

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DeltaPhoenix

:spit: I refuse to provide more info about this pedal

7. duderus

duderus

It's funny because nobody has provided anything on this pedal besides the crappy video in any of those posts. In fact my questions are still left unanswered really.

Thanks. I still laugh at your responses to mic - ing the skb speaker though.

8. DeltaPhoenix

That SKB gag was good!

I just don't think anybody around here has one of these yet. Somebody is going to take the plunge eventually. I am not into compression so it won't be me. I just wonder if the compression would be good for you if this is really based of Billy's setup because he isn't known for slapping.

9. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

That's because it hasn't been officially launched yet. The EBS website states that more info will be released after product launch.

I have questions too, that will have to wait as well.

Those two effects loops are going to be the killer feature for me though!

10. bassbrad

bassbrad

Billy uses a lot of compression to get his tones but i don't think this pedal would be good for slap.

11. bassmonkeee

I just want to point out that the other thread doesn't have Billy Sheehan in the title, so I didn't click on that one. But, I DID click on this one. :D

In any event, Billy has a very specific tone that he gets with Compression. I've always loved that tone so if this box gets it, I might have just found my next bass od/distortion pedal.

I wonder how it'll play in an effects chain with another compressor in it.

12. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

I'm intrigued to hear the how the built in compression behaves, but I think I'll end up running a separate one in the clean loop for more control.

13. andrew

andrew

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Regenerate Guitar Works
    The video in the other thread is the pedal running with an MXR compressor pedal in the effects loop of his signature pedal.

14. JCooper

JCooper ...meep. Supporting Member

15. bassmonkeee

Oooooooooooooo.....I could do that.......

16. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

That's what I plan to do with one half of my TC nova dynamics. But I wonder if the clean loop is always active, so I would still get a compressed signal when the pedal is disengaged? I doubt it, it would be a useful trick if it did.

17. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Ordered 1/16, still no word.

18. kringle77

Mine arrived today and I had literally 5 minutes to try it out before I had to leave the house. In short, is sounds very much line the billy sheehan modded pearc that I had, only way more convenient. As far as features and tone, I can already tell there are going to be no problems. One thing that may bug me alittle is the fact that every EBS pedal I have ever plugged into has a slight amount of tone suck even though they use buffers in their products. I may be hearing just alittle of that with this pedal but, as I said, I had 5 minutes with it and was playing though my ampeg svt210av cabs. Aside from that, the tone is perfect. I had the best overdriven, growly rock tone that I've ever had in about 30 seconds. I've had some pretty good tones like it but, this one just has it all. I'll do a video review when I review my ampeg cabs on youtube.

19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

What took so long with the delivery?

20. andrew

andrew

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Regenerate Guitar Works
    Wow, pretty heavy credit to the EBS pedal. Looking forward to your video review.

I had ordered this but cancelled my order when the delay occurred. Might need to email Bassefx to re-order.

Have you tried the Ashdown Lomenzo Hyper Drive? I have one coming my way and it is also supposed to emulate the Pearce tone. You're one of the few guys besides myself that I've ever known to have owned a Pearce so I'm interested in how close you feel the EBS pedal really gets you.

21. kringle77

I've played the Lomenzo a few times. It sounds pretty darn good. The EBS for me, works better. It really does sound like the pearce though, the pearce actually could get a bit more over the top gain. This gets pretty much as distorted as you would want to play billy sheehan solos but, the pedal is really meant to get the blended thing. I may actually try it in the fet fx loop of my genz and roll all the lows off to have a blended od/clean tone with only mids and highs and then blend it with the fullrange signal of the tube channel. This is is really what billy does anyway, only using two amps. His tone isn't just clean and distorted mixed. It's really fullrange clean blended with another amp that is clean/distortion blended with everything below about 170hz rolled off. That is even where the od channel rolls off on this pedal. It also has a compressor at the end of the signal chain to compress the clean and distorted sounds together. This limiter is in the pearce. Billy uses it that way and it's actually a big part of what people are missing when really trying to nail his tone. They just mesh together better with the limiter at the end of the chain.