1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

EBS Fafner lamp mod.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bloc Riff Nut, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Bloc Riff Nut

Bloc Riff Nut

Thinking about putting a LED in my Fafner because the light keeps failing.

My lamp stopped working for the second time so I'm thinking of replacing it with an LED. So I sent an email to EBS asking what they thought of the idea and they replied with this;-

Dear Philip,
    On the socket for the light bulb you have 42V AC.
    So, in order to use a LED lamp you need to put a series resistor and optionally diode.

Best Regards

Are there any tech heads that can elaborate on the values of the resistor and diode type?
    My solderring skills are much better than my theory

Cheers,

Phil.
  2. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Better luck in the amps forum. This is hardware as in tuners and bridges.

Click the "report post" button and ask a mod to move it to amps.
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

42V AC doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. For an incandescent lamp 6-12V makes more sense. Before you begin, I would actually measure the lamp voltage to ascertain the 42V is correct. What is the identification for the old lamp??

A typical LED drops around 2V and can safely be run from AC. It will require a series resistor to limit the current passing. I usually run mine at between 10-15mA. More for brighter, less for dimmer.

The value of the resistor can be calculated using Ohm's law. If the 42V turns out to be correct then a 2.7KΩ 2W resistor should be all you need. I would think about using an old lamp base to mount the parts. This would eliminate making changes to the amp itself.
  4. Bloc Riff Nut

Bloc Riff Nut

Cheers Paul,
    The volts are correct, but the old lamp was 22V and 0.025A. This was not the original lamp.
    I think Ill use a blue LED. I recently changed the existing JJ ECC83S for a Mullard 12AX7 with balanced/matching triodes with a value of 1.0mA. The drive/character functions are much creamier and more to my liking. Im not sure if this is the difference between the two valves or if the JJ was damaged or used up in some way. It looks ok...
  5. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    42 is always correct :bag:

Isn't your resistor calculation only suitable for DC? I'd check for the breakdown voltage of the LED as well, you might need another diode in front to protect the LED
  6. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

As the safety director for a large manufacturing plant, I was in charge of making sure the exit lights were working. Before LED's, these used incandescent lights in them. They burned out in maybe 6 months, nearly insuring that at the time of any inspection, at least one would be burned out.

I made a small, but simple modification to each light, adding a series diode (1N4001 or higher) to one wire feeding the AC bulb. This would change the AC to pulsating DC.

The AC would minutely vibrate the bulb filament, which would hasten failure. Changing to DC lessened the vibration due to the polarity of the voltage changing 60 times a second.

The result was that bulbs would last 2-3 years instead of 6 months.

It might be a better solution for you...just one diode on the socket.

With an LED you would need to change to DC also.
  7. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard Supporting Member

8. Bloc Riff Nut

Bloc Riff Nut

That may be the simplest answer. Really shouldnt over think things.
    Cheers, Ill do a search.