EBS Fafner Owners

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Geri O, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Geri O

Geri O

I don't think there are many of us around here (and it will be next Wednesday before I can honestly say "us"...:oops:)), but a quick question, if I may.

I know that the Fafner is rated for 2-ohm operation. Will it hold up to 2-ohm operation hammering fairly hard? On a club stage, I can't see running more than one cabinet, but on a 32'X24' or a 40'X32', I could see running fairly harder with 2 4-ohm 410 cabinets. I can probably figure out some rewiring tricks to come up with a 4-ohm load (the easiest trick being to get a 4-ohm 810 cabinet, which isn't out of the question) between two 410 cabinets, if I had to.

Thanx,
    Geri O

2. stuhammfan

stuhammfan

I used to have a grey striped early Fafner- it hit hard at 8 ohms and really hit hard at 4ohms- all I really needed was one 8 ohm cab- never ran at 2ohms but I bet it would be crazy loud and powerful. Great amps! I currently am using a Ebs Reidmar (big difference) compared to the Fafner, but it works great for my current needs.

3. Geri O

Geri O

Love your user name!

Thanx for the response, my Fafner is coming in Tuesday, according to Fedex. And hopefully, the shipment won't be delayed by weather (it's in Memphis at the moment, just has to make to Jackson, MS). I looked at the Reidmar and the TDS, but I decided to go for the (older) gold. I keep hearing that I will not be disappointed.

I have several cabinets that I own for back line rental purposes and I plan to try the Fafner with all the combinations, including a friend's SVT 810 cabinet. I'll get back with pics and a number request (!)

I had been hearing about kicking' results at 4 ohms and 2 ohms, but it was kinda tepid at 8 ohms, which is understandable, knowing what I know about power amps of all kinds. Perhaps a nice 8-ohm 410 cabinet and the Fafner would be good for smaller gigs. Later this spring, I hope to have 2 Proline 410 cabinets sitting under the Fafner.

I'm really excited about that amp arriving!

Thanx again,
    Geri O

4. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd

Congrats man, I've always wanted to splurge for a Fafner but I could just never justify it. Let us know how it sounds -- better yet, post some sound clips!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. valipe

valipe

It will definitely hold 2 ohm load. I have two 4-ohms EBS cabs (now neo series) and I have use both for years. It's loud setup. Don't lose Your hearing!

7. Geri O

Geri O

I tell you what, I just spent the afternoon with my Fafner and putting it in the amp rack. I've been playing with it through my SWR Workingpro 410 cabinet at 8 ohms and I've been very impressed. But this afternoon, I decided to connect the other SWR cabinet, a Workingpro 115 at 8 ohms as well, and...

MY GOSH!! It turned into nearly another amplifier. Seemingly endless amount of power and tone! I'm even more impressed now! This cabinet combination will have to do for a few more weeks. Then I'll start with 1 Proline 410 cabinet, then get another one. Or maybe I'll get a Proline 210, since I really want to use the amp on small gigs to get that sound.

And a buddy of mine in the backline rental business has offered me the use of his SVT 810 cabinet if I need it. Sometime next week, I'm bring my Fafner to his place to try the SVT cabinet, and while we are at it, why not A/B the SVT head?

I'm beyond impressed with this amplifier, needless to say. I've played through the usual Aguilar, Eden, Hartke, Ampegs, and others. They are all great, but to me, the Fafner stands above all of them.

Geri O

8. valipe

valipe

Yes! I once tried Fafner with Ampeg SVT 6x10 cab. It's also killer setup and quite interesting sound. So was Eden cabs. My favourite setup is EBS Neo 410 and EBS Neo 212 together or just one PH those neos, but I find EBS Proline And Classic cabs very satisfying. Proline is very tight and articulate. Classic is warmer and softer perhaps like ampeg with hifi clarity. But like Sid said Neo 212 is perfect.

9. GilGB

GilGB

Lately i am having lots of noise from the Drive Knob,does anyone know what can i do?

10. caligula

caligula

I used to have a Fafner for roughly 3 years and gigged it with two 2x10 cabs (4 ohms each) without any problems. Plenty of power.
    Although it was a hard hitting sound for sure, I wasn't too happy with it. The amp sounded a bit too cold, sterile, too SWR-like; at least in combination with said cabs.

11. Electrophonic

Electrophonic

I am not an owner, but I played a Fafner with a matching 610 for four hours today. Wow, what a great rig! Tons of lows, mids and highs. I could easily dial in the tones I wanted. Great weight behind the notes.

I am very impressed.

12. Paulhauser

Paulhauser

This is my EBS rig. Fafner II and 2 pcs of EBS Proline 410 cabs. Incredible sound and it is way too loud to practically anything :) But since I do not have to use it anywhere near its limits, it has a very broad and open sound and works in many a situations.

[​IMG]

13. Geri O

Geri O

Sweet! Looks awesome!

My goals later this year is for the TDS650 head and another Neo 410 cab in addition to the one I have now.