EBS Multi comp question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cchorney, Feb 5, 2013.

1. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

So I picked up a new EBS Multicomp (says "true bypass") along the bottom the other day.

I bought it because I'm looking to achieve a more "tube like" sound on my SS amp.

My signal chain is Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass > wireless > Line 6 G50 > Boss Tuner > Sansamp BDDI Deluxe (tube setting) > Boss analog delay > EBS Multocomp > Markbass CMD102P.

The compressor is set to "tubey" (dip switch in the top position), side switch set to passive, gain set to unity.

My questions:
    The compression knob doesn't seem to do anything - is that normal for the "Tubey" setting?
    Its not too noisy with the compression off, but it's pretty noisy when on. Is this just normal with solid state compression?

It does a bit of fattening up my tone, more than just the BDDI alone. But not as authentic as, not surprisingly, an actual tube amp.

Given my stated goal of having a tube like sound with my current amp, and given I just complained about the noise on this box, is there a better compression pedal option for me? (Yes, I've read bongo's page - great stuff and what put me to this pedal in the first place)

2. mgalat

mgalat Supporting Member

Shameless Plug:
    Markbass compressore for sale in the classifieds.
    True tube compression. In my opinion, gives a "tubey" vibe.

But I don't think any compressor will ever get you fully to "actual tube amp" status.

3. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Try setting the input to "active". It will change your gain staging, maybe for the better. Coming after the BDDI, the signal may be too hot for the passive setting.

4. ewingman8

ewingman8

I run a similar set up (with the multi comp and CMD102p and i have been using the multi comp for about four months now and i love it. I still tweak it all the time. One thing i have come to realize is that the tube setting and multiband are totally different and are very useful for different reasons.

To my ears the tube mode is more about tonal color then compression. It adds a boost to your mids and accents the highs, which i really like for my clean tone, not so much for limiting filter/wah effects.

The multiband setting on the other hand is more transparent and much better for limiting and the compression is much more noticeable.

I dont know if the tube mode will give you the "tube amp" sound you seek, because i don't use a tube amp, but it can do some nice things for your tone. you could also adjust the threshold with the internal pots to get more compressed sound. I think compressors are tricky and can sometimes take some time to figure out the sound you like, so I wouldn't give up on the thing just yet

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. G.Bisson

G.Bisson Supporting Member

Recommend moving the MultiComp before the BDDI in your signal chain. The comp is making noise coming from the BDDI worse.

7. slend3r

slend3r

^ This.

8. cchorney

I'll try playing with the active/passive button - it may be the Jazz pups are hotter than it wants. I will also try shuffling the signal chain so the compressor goes before the BDDI.

I will hold off on getting a full tube amp just now, but thanks for the suggestion!

mgalat, not ready to give up on this compressor yet (love the size and the fact it runs off my pedal board power supply), but moving up to that might end up being an option. Where are you located? You profile doesn't say.

9. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Supporting Member

any luck on this yet?

10. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

There are internal trim pots that you can adjust

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

They control the MultiComp mode settings, which is disabled when in 'tubesim' mode.

12. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

I believe that when the pedal is not in multi-band mode, one of the trim pots controls the whole freq spectrum

13. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn

^^^This^^^

14. cchorney

That was the solution, sort of. I didn't move to the active jack but I did move the compressor to before the BDDI. Problem solved. Thank you!

Sorry I didn't post an update on this earlier.