EBS Multicomp (or any other comp for that matter - Set-and-Forget or Dial-and-Redial?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by marcusprice, Dec 11, 2013.

1. marcusprice

marcusprice

Do you guys + gals find you generally find a setting for your comp and leave it, or do you find yourself screwin' with it every time you plug in?

If you use a multicomp I'd love to see your favorite settings.

2. Wolffgang

Wolffgang

I prefer to just set and forget. Getting a hardcase pedalboard was a revelation for that, didn't realise what I was putting myself through. I use an Empress now, and I generally aim for a fairly consistent tone without too much attack or release swell.

I used to use an EBS, although there really isn't that to say about a two-knob pedal >.>

I kid, I mostly found myself using the 'tube' setting. I initially bought it for the multiband, but found I really hated that sound with distortion. I would have SO preferred discrete output knobs for high and low bands, but internal trims aren't too band, even if all you can do is decide how compressed you want each. I generally ran the low band fairly heavy, and lighter on the high band, not sure on the exact positions. I didn't *really* notice much of a difference between 'tube' and 'normal', but the stupid consumer in me feels like he's getting something extra using the fancy setting :D

3. Phagor

Phagor

I tried to use it always-on, but it didn't work well for me live.

Now I use it as an effect, kicking it on for certain songs. I have the compression knob set high for a more obvious squashy effect, and set the gain so it matches the volume when it's off.

I use the normal mode. Like Wolffgang, I didn't like the multiband, except maybe for slapping.

I've just bumped the EBS off my board for a Zoom MS-60B. The Zoom has a Multicomp model as well as a few other compressors, so I can set up a few different patches for different levels of compression. Time will see if I keep the EBS.