EBS Multicomp Overloading Amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bunk McNulty, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty Supporting Member

Had an outdoor gig Saturday night, it was pretty cold (40º F when we finished). I was running my usual setup, with a EBS Multicomp into a Genz-Benz 6.0. On the second song, the yellow clip/limit light came on (first time ever!) and I briefly lost signal. This happened about half a dozen times over the next few songs, and, not knowing what else to do, took the compressor out of the signal chain. The problem stopped. I'm wondering what may have caused it. The cold? This is the black-box "true bypass" model, set on normal, with compression and volume both set at 12 o'clock.

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Interesting.

When you lost signal, did the protect or thermal light on the amp turn on?

I wonder if maybe there was an issue with the comp, or the power supply feeding the comp?

Was there any flashing of the input clip LED on the amp?

Did the output peak LED flsh or was it on pretty steady?

Let's see if we can get this sorted out for you.

3. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Bongomania said that though he thinks the EBS multicomp sounds fine, he has seen too many broken units to recommend them to anyone (IIRC)... I would start by checking the pedal closely.

4. Bunk McNulty

Yes, the input clip LED flashed on simultaneously (I guess) with the loss of signal. The LED flashed, it did not display a steady light. I don't think the output peak LED flashed, because I didn't notice it.

Good guess on the power supply; I wonder whether it malfunctioned because of the cold?

The model I have, according to the same Bongomania review, is supposedly more reliable than earlier models.

In any event, I'm going to do a serious check-up on the box today. Thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, to be clear, I said the true bypass version was more reliable insofar as it is newer, but the only reason I said that was in case somebody was wondering which bypass system was the one to choose; it's not that I think the true bypass ones are better made, they're just less old.

7. Bunk McNulty

I stand clarified. And probably looking for a new compressor. :scowl:

8. Bunk McNulty

Gack! Just realized who you were. The amp is fine, I'm going on three years of gigging with it, and I still love it to death. (It replaced a MusicMan HD-150, and every time I pick up the Shuttle, I'm reminded why :D) Thanks, Jeff.

9. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

No problem, we will get to the bottom of this.

10. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Thanks for clarifying, bongomania. I did not remember the exact details of your verdict.

11. Bunk McNulty

Late getting back, but FWIW: The compressor is fine. The amp is fine. I have to believe the problem was caused by playing an outdoor gig when the temperature was about 5-10 degrees F above freezing. (It paid well, but I really don't want to do another one of these until it's at least 60 :rollno:)