EBS Multicomp vs Markbass Compressore vs Rothwell Love Squezee

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Filip Burdon, Dec 24, 2013.

?

EBS Multicomp vs MArkbass Compressore vs Rothwell Love Squeeze

1. EBS Multicomp

23 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. Markbass Compressore

24 vote(s)
    47.1%
  3. Rothwell Love Squeeze

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Disclosures:
    Bass player in https://www.facebook.com/poligonnr4
    I have a big love\hate relationship going on With compressors. I had used 2 so far (aguilar TLC, Seymour Doubleback), but tried many more, never really satysfied.
    As for my gir I use a US jazz With sjb3 and Obp3 preamp, form my head I use GK 2001RB, and 2xEBS 410CL as my cabs (want to change to 2x212 GK neo).

As for the compressor I have some basic questions\concerns (yes I have read Bongs reviews, not only on those comps ;) ) about those compressors.( I can get all 3 used in nearly the same price)

EBS Multicomp
    Love its simplicity, like the tubism mode, adds a nice vibe to the sound. It's a plug'n'play comp which is great 'cause I'm a guy that sometimes gets cought in knob tweaking (especially wih comps) and after a while when I can't find 'the perfect' sound (because I always try to tweak to be better and fall into this donward spiral), get angry and sell it :oops:

My only concers With EBS is that the pedal is used (2-4years don't reallly remember now) and Bong warned about EBS pedal getting bad over time, the second concern is (maybe) having to strong outup, and distortion as a consequence of tha (but that can be solved With the internal pots if I understood correctly?), and my last concer is the small ratio (1:5 max) that is okey for now I think (play mostly punk\ grunge and stoner rock in second band With a pick and lots of distortion pedals), but can be too little in the future.

Markbass Compressore
    Here the list is shorter :p

I haven't tried it (I only had the possibility of trying a neb multicomp With not my bass :/)
    I understand that it has a tuby vibe as EBS on the tubism mode, it has a lot of more tone opptions and a bigger ratio.

For the flaws:
    It's damn big, I never liked the sound of markbass cabs or amps, but the compressor might be a different thing. I'm afraid of getting cought in the knob tweaking hell etc... you know the story :p

Rothwell Love Squeeze
    Basicly I know nothing about it. Found it used on allegro.pl (a polish site) read a bit about, found an ok review about it at Bongos, read some on TB.

The good sides are the same as for multicomp, it's simple.
    It has less noise then multicomp or compressore.

It lacks the tuby vibe that EBS, Markbass has, it has the same ratio 'problem' as EBS. I have no idea how good does it handle low bass, (tuned to D or drop C)?

The comps would cost me in zloty

EBS 380zl (125.50 USD)
    Markbass 470zl (155.22 USD)
    Rothwell 500zl (165.13 USD)

I think I could get those last to for around 134-145 USD

Which one would you reccomend. I'd appreciate all comments :)
  2. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

i voted ebs, having a ebs rig and a few ebs pedals i can assure you that
    they make quality equipment, best advice is to try/test as many different
    comp pedals as you can. also, dont overlook mxr.
  3. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe Supporting Member

My limited experience with compressors is that you have to try them. Owned an MXR M87, didn't like it. Parallel tested it with a a Cali76, Empress and two Mad Professor Forrest Greens. The Cali76 was the most transparent. The others sounded somewhat different, but too close to the MXR. Ended up with an EBS Multicomp in the end. Yes it has a lower compression ratio, but it doesn't kill the dynamic of the playing, which I think the others do at even quite low ratios. My 2 cent.
  4. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Disclosures:
    I had an EBS amp in the past, the TD 660, but changed in favor of the GK 2001RB which I love.

I would maybe try the Mxr but there are none used in Poland and a New one it too expensiwe.
    Ok so 2:0 for EBS!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

I've been using the Love Squeeze as an 'almost always on' pedal for several years, so it's the only one I can provide feedback on. I can't image taking it off my board. But I think, based on your comments, that it's not the type of compressor you're looking for.

I'd disagree with you on Bongo's take on the Love Squeeze. He lists it in his "top tier pedals", and sums up the review with "There is no noise, even at maximum compression. I consider that a small miracle. I don't know what more to say--this is just the most transparent, lowest-noise comp pedal I've tried."

It's dead quiet, compresses well but doesn't change your tone and no problem handling the lows. That's it's strength. So if you're looking for something to add some "tuby vibe" it's not the one.
  7. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe Supporting Member

Good thing is that in Sweden where I live you can get an EBS Muliticomp second hand for 250 Zloty (or equivalent).
  8. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

So you're looking for a tone-sweetener?

The markbass is a pedal i will ALWAYS support, its just an amazingly versatile Compressor... that being said i wouldn't count on TOO MUCH tubey vibe from it.. it does sound great and warm recorded but its not fuzzy or tubey per se, though it does have some fattening qualities at low ratio / lowish threshold

If you want tonal magic, search out a diamond or similar, or an FEA..
  9. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I didn't vote in the poll because the Compressore is the only one on the list I've used. So I've just got a few thoughts about the Compressore you might want to weigh into your decision.

Yes, it can do that, but it can also do transparent very well too. The more you turn up the gain (and then the threshold to compensate) the more it colors your tone.

Yes it is. I don't think that's a big deal if you're using it by itself, but on a pedalboard it's a real concern. Not only that, but the power requirements are incompatible with any pedalboard power supply that I'm familiar with. You need to power it with its own supply. And while the build quality of the pedal itself is excellent, the power supply is on a flimsy cable that will probably need occasional repair or replacement. That said, I've owned mine for a couple of years now and the power cable hasn't failed yet.

Personally, I'm a firm believer that when it comes to comps, more is more. I want maximum control over all of the parameters, which one reason I use the Compressore, and also one reason I recommend it to many players.

At the same time, this is one of those pedals where you really have to work harder to get a bad tone than you do to get a good one. Just point everything at 12 o'clock and it's an instant tonal upgrade.
  10. Bassist4Eris

If that's true, then I'm impressed, because my Compressore is dead quiet. I once had an audio engineer refusing to believe that it was on because my signal chain was so quiet.
  11. gully_jones

gully_jones Stone cold groovy man Supporting Member

Compressore is a great pedal even when you consider the size and power requirement. I wouldn't get rid of mine. The EBS just didn't do it for me and I am unfamiliar with the Rothwell but after reading Bongo's review it sound like a strong candidate as well. Good luck with your selection.
  12. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Disclosures:

I have some pedals at the moment that is why Space is a concern.
    I use a Boss tu3, aguilar agro, exar bass distortion, darkglass B7K, aguilar tone hammer, Ebs Dynaverb, Ehx small clone :p

I power my effects by using a T-Rex fuel tank, I would be able to Power the compressore with it?

As I'm a student at the moment every 10bucks make a difference for me, that is why even if I take compressore under consideration it all comes down to the money :crying:

But at the moment it seams that the Battle is mostly between the EBS and Markbass.
  13. Bassist4Eris

Actually, yes! And just a few posts ago I said I didn't know of a power unit that could. But I just looked at the specs for the Fuel Tank Classic (I assume that's the one you have; check this link: http://www.t-rex-effects.com/fueltank-classic/) and the 12-volt DC output is capable of delivering 500 mA, which is what the Compressore requires.
  14. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My Markbass compressore is always on. Warms and fattens the tone with the tube, otherwise doesn't color. You can get one cheap (~$100-$120) thru Guitar Center Used Gear. Just make sure it comes with a power supply. With that said, I've only used the Markbass. I did do a fair amount of research before buying though ...
  15. cnltb

cnltb

I'd say lovesqueeze...

EBS pedals tend to stop working in my experience-had all of them and most of them broke.
    Sound alright whilst working however.
    I never liked Markbass.
  16. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I used EBS almost exclusively for some years but my pedals have also begun developing problems, some noise in pots, failing power jacks, and my EBS combo amp's input stage died (the amp also had very scratchy pots). So based on this I can not recommend EBS anymore, I think the build quality is questionable.
  17. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Disclosures:
    Hymm a got a nice price on the Pigtronix bass philosophers bass compressor. So at the moment I'm thinking about the pigtronix, EBS or any other user friendly 2-3knob compressor in this price range.
    Has anyone any opinions on the Pigtronix?
  18. drea2304

drea2304 Supporting Member

I've had the Markbass for a couple of years and love it.
  19. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Disclosures:
    And the Demter compulator, I found it to be often put up against the EBS?
  20. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

This seems to be a common belief and one I held until I did my due diligence. There are quite a few power supplies that will work, although most require an optional current doubler cable. Included are Voodoo Lab 4x4 and Mondo, Eventide Powerfactor 1 or 2, and Cioks Ciokolate. I think the Voodoo Lab Digital may also work, as will the T Rex Juicy Lucy, bit those two are much less flexible if you own other pedals.

I've used the Compressore for quite a while now and I love it!
  21. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

While the Compressore may work with that current draw, I believe Markbass says that it needs 550mA MINIMUM. I think running it at a lower draw, or more accurately, drawing the absolute maximum mA from the power supply at all times, may stress the power supply, leading to early failure. Using the Voodoo Lab 4x4, I'm giving the Comp 800mA... Whether it's using all of it, I'll never know!