1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

EBS Multidrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eukatheude, Feb 28, 2014.

1. eukatheude

eukatheude

So, i got offered one of these in exchange for my Boss RC-2.
    I've watched this video and while it sounds good, it doesn't seem like what i'm after... I'd mostly play it thru an active Spector, digging in a lot, so i want to really bring out some clank and fuzzy gain. Would you kind folks recommend it?
  2. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Supporting Member

Why would you ask that question if it doesn't seem to be what you're after? I don't get it. It is a good pedal, provided it's tone is what you're after. Sounds silly, no? ;-)
  3. eukatheude

eukatheude

Because i need a decent 'stortion box and that's all i was offered in trade. I was looking for more opinions, like if the video only uses a fraction of what it does. I'm looking for clank, from this video it doesn't seem like it would work, but who knows... That's why i'm asking. :)
  4. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

The multidrive is pretty smooth in all settings. It's not going to give you clank.
  5. GretschBassist

If you want CLANK, check out the Metal Drive by EBS. Much better at this.
  6. eukatheude

eukatheude

Not even if i boost the highs in my pre? I'm afraid it will drown them out, but if it just distorts them it should be definitely fine.
  7. G.Bisson

G.Bisson Supporting Member

^ this

^ and this

The multidrive has a mild treble rolloff that would smooth out 'clank'.

The metaldrive has a more open topend that brings out more string noise and harmonics.
  8. eukatheude

eukatheude

The metal drive seems better, however this is what i got offered. I might just do this trade and THEN trade the multidrive for a metal drive. lol.
    EDIT: Not so fast, it doesn't seem to be easily available and definitely not in the used market here. Maybe i can mod the rolloff out someway?
  9. GretschBassist

I wouldn't recommend buying EBS pedals used as they don't get better over time, quite the contrary actually. (Don't worry, it is a matter of years, but still...)

I wouldn't do the trade if I was you. I would sell the RC-2, put a little extra on top and get a new EBS MetalDrive. That might get you where you really want.
  10. eukatheude

eukatheude

Given my economic situation, the only way i'm able to acquire gear (ie. more than i already did) would be to trade what i already have. :D
    Since i'm already trading a chinese bass for a WTDI + a little mixer, i might find that i'm content with the WTDI. Maybe i'll just hold onto the rc2, whether for a better offer or if the need of money arises.
  11. GretschBassist

Maybe do a reverse shout out. "Trading RC-2 for an EBS MetalDrive" - There's always someone out there, even if it takes a while.
  12. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

How does the metal drive compare to the Multidrive other than more top end? Can is still do a mild OD or is it balls to the wall OD only?
  13. GretschBassist

IMO the MetalDrive isn't made for subtleties at all. Sure you can dial it back but it doesn't sound good but then again, I don't like it's sound at all. I am more in love with this kind of sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXLyoDI8ugI
  14. G.Bisson

G.Bisson Supporting Member

Metaldrive also has more gain than the multidrive and gets more extreme the multi. The metaldrive can still do mild OD like a multidrive. They are both very versatile and there is a large overlap in the tones available from each.
    The multidrive is fine for most folks, the metaldrive is for those who want MOAR!