Ebs Octabass and tracking

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by xkomo, Mar 17, 2014.

1. xkomo

xkomo

I am on the hunt for an octaver pedal. According to the reviews the "worst pedal" is octabass comparing mxr and aguilar. The thing is though that I love the octabass tone that I listen from the clips. Most of ebs users say that it does not track well, do you think that putting a compressor pedal before the octabass would improve the tracking?
    I also would like to ask your opinion about someting else. The octabass costs 125 euros new, someone sells a buffered black label for 60, he also claims that it is in "like new" condition. Do you think that it worths or is it better to go for the new true bypass one?

Thank you!
  2. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Supporting Member

I love EBS but the Octabass is indeed kinda bad... I would go for the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe. It's great value!
  3. oysteivi

oysteivi

The one thing it really shines for is making guitars sound awesome through my bass rig. Go below the standard guitar register, and the tracking quickly moves though "too slow for riffing" into glitchy to unusable. It's also glitchy around the 5th fret on the G string on some basses, but I figure that might just be caused by the infamous fender dead spot.

I'm in no hurry to replace mine, but if it breaks, I'd buy some other octaver.
  4. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

I have a grey one (generation before the Black label ones) and it tracks quite well down to G on the E string. If anything, the tracking improves if you roll off the highs a bit. Compressor helps, too.
    My Digitech bass synth wah triggers even better, but being digital, there is a bit of lagging. The tone is also not as nice as the EBS'.
    Both units are sensitive to power supply/battery to deliver maximum performance and tone.
  5. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

the EBS is great! tracks fine if you know how to use it, IMO. it's my secret weapon and after almost every show a bassist inquires about it. lol,.. i keep it hidden and therefore they're curious as to how i get that AWESOME tone! go easy on your settings,.. a little tweak goes a long way! ;)
  6. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

I have owned the Octabass more than once and I really don't like it. It seems difficult with active basses. I now have a Boss OC-2 that works great and I'm enjoying.
  7. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

With analog octavers I think you just have to try them for yourself... I've seen just about every octaver described repeatedly as both the "best" and the "worst" at tracking around here.

I use the Octabass and it tracks great for my purposes. My band digs the tone too. However, I will note that the tracking sounds a lot worse if you completely roll out the clean signal and use only the octave signal.
  8. metaball

metaball

i'm happy with my octabass as well. i'm using passive pickups, not sure if that makes a difference. it's early in my chain. also i think how you play has an effect.
  9. ctufankjian

ctufankjian Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Unicornbass.se
    IMHO, The OC pedals track better, and in the grand scheme of octave pedals available, the EBS does not track well from my experience. That said, perhaps others that have had success were looking for different qualities than myself.

:D