1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

EBS vs AMPEG

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by hermanosoul, Dec 30, 2012.

1. hermanosoul

hermanosoul

I'm about to get crazy and spent the money i have not in a new amp set.

So i've seen at almost the same cost, an EBS Fafner and an AMPEG SVT4.

So: Pros, Cons, owners, oppinions...everypiece of info is more than wellcome for this ignorant bassist pretender :meh:

Really, everything helps.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

4 PRO is a good head. Warm sounding, lots of bass, clean and plenty loud when SET CORRECTLY. My problem with the head was the lack of string clarity. If you want edgy pick playing tones, they were quite hard to get out of the 4 PRO. I constantly had to reduce low end content out of the head just to get a usable tone in many situations.

EBS is a whole different ball game. I will not comment further since my time of using the heads is quite limited.

Purchase whatever you want, but make sure to take advantage of 30 day return policies, meeting with bass players and playing their rigs, and check out youtube videos with the gear you like. When listening to the videos, keep in mind ALL GEAR hooked up with the amp heads. Different cabs, rooms, effect pedals and players will give you different versions of the amp's abilities. Use headphones or a speaker system with a subwoofer too. PC speakers are NOT a good choice for evaluating bass gear.

Buying used is a GREAT idea.

Korean-made SVT 4 PRO's versus American-made 4 PRO's - I owned one of each: not a difference in sound. Parts were most likely different, but I had the same result with each head.

Are there other brands you want to look at? Why are you only looking at these two brands?
  3. MysticMichael

MysticMichael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

EBS = hi-fi
    Ampeg = lo-fi

MM
  4. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    EBS will be more versitile. You can make it sould like a Ampeg or make it really modern.

Ampeg does Ampeg. It will always sound that way with some variation.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    :eyebrow:

I don't know how Ampeg got this "lo-fi" reputation, but as far as I'm concerned it's 100% undeserved.
  6. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    HiFi is prestine clean, transparent. No color from the amp. If I want color I use a pedal.

LoFi is lots of color from the amp. I hate this, regardless of amp.

Compare an Ampeg to a MarkBass.
  7. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

I don't think LoFi is necessarily a bad thing.

P.S. Lo-fi amps work extremely well with my hi-fi speaker cabinet. Hi-fi amps don't do well with this cab imho - it's too much politeness.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I have. Even did a direct comparison of the LMII vs an SVT 4 Pro on a gig. I went back to Ampeg shortly after that ;)
  9. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

I have no experience with the EBS but I do own a Viet Name-made 4 Pro and it's been a stellar, dependable amp. When I needed a clean pick tone I had no problem getting it (Hwy One Jazz, Ampeg 410 HLF cab), but getting a nice, warm, finger tone its bread and butter.

I should add, however, that for gigging duties I've gone back to my Ashdown ABM 500 Evo II combo, which has a slightly sweeter tone than the Ampeg.
  10. lowendrv

lowendrv

Yeh, Jimmy just look back at all those years Steve Bailey and Victor Wooten got that hi-fi sound from Ampeg. I guess that was Lo-fi Hi-fi though.....LOL
  11. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Addressing the Ampeg being lo-fi thing... IMO/IME Ampeg amps are capable of quite a bit of coloration but they're also capable of being pretty darn clean. I blame their speaker cabinets for the common misconception that they can only do one thing well.

I would probably avoid both the Fafner and SVT-4 Pro and buy some iteration of 200-400w tube amp. :cool:
  12. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

My comment about string clarity is based on me using a thick sounding bass to begin with - Spector Euro. With my Carvin heads, I have a lot more success with string clarity and edgy pick tones. Ampeg is just not for me.
  13. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

The Fafner is a beast of an amp. I'd get that given the choice.
  14. 1kinal

1kinal

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    The EBS Fafner is one of the best head I've played. I never owned one but I was provided with one as a backline on tour in Europe. I loved it so much that even if I'm perfectly happy with my present heads (GB shuttle 9.0, aguilar db659 and Carvin B1500), I'm still thinking about it when I see one showing up on the used market.

The SVT-4 is not in the same league. It's pretty versatile sounding but underpowered. It's nothing special...

Go with the EBS. Powerful, versatile, well built.
  15. hermanosoul

hermanosoul

Actually i'm asking about these two 'cause i've targeted 2nd hand one of each at, almost, the same price.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    How can a head capable of delivering 1200w be underpowered for anyone? I totally get the idea that not everyone would dig it, but underpowered? LOL!
  17. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I had a 4Pro and didn't like it all. Seemed under powered and lacked clarity. I use a 6Pro and like it a lot better. I tried EBS when one of my local stores had a couple of used heads and cabs few years ago. They sounded great but I didn't think they were worth the added cost. Another factor is that the closest authorized retailer and service center is over 200 miles away.
  18. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Billy Sheehan has been know to use several Crown Macrotech 10,000. These babies require 220AC.

Above, I didn't say Ampeg wouldn't run clean. It will but NOT "pristine clean". If you set an Ampeg to run clean and dig in it will start to break. It's slight, but it there. "Pristine" means you can dig in all you want and it will still be clean.

And if you compared a MarkBass to an Ampeg and like the Ampeg better, fine. I was using them as a comparison of to different sounds. I never said one was better than the other. If you notice underneath my name, I don't use either.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sorry but that hasn't been my experience with Ampegs that they start to break up on clean settings. Cleanest amp I ever played is an SVT.
  20. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

I understand what you are saying, but don't completely agree.

IME, my Markbass LM III colors the tone to the warm side of things. The LM III is no where near as "clean" or "bright" as, for example, a Genz Benz Shuttle to my ear. Also, IME a "typical" Ampeg amp can sound pretty clean if you limit the gain.

I saw Michael Manring play locally once, playing through an Ampeg rig. With his Zon basses, he got incredibly clean, clear tones. He was playing at relatively low volume, so I suspect that was part of the equation.