1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

ecommendations for an 18" Driver

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

I'm inheriting a Bag End cab for an 18... don't know the model number yet, but it's a fairly old one, with a cap you can remove that covers the vent and makes it an 'infinite baffle'. I'm looking for an 18 for it (yes, Bag End is an obvious choice I suppose),; I'm also considering modding the cab to accommodate either a 15, or even a pair of 10s or 12s...

More info coming... meanwhile, bash away! :p
  2. Count Bassie

I'm pretty sure it's an S18B-B... and I've written to Bag End to see about the cost of a new 18. I hope they write back after I've had a glass or two of something.
  3. Count Bassie

I've been given a Bag End-II cab, same specs as what they also call the S18B-B. The 1-year-warranted version (same speaker as the 6-year warranted one) of the E-18 driver sells for around $254, and shipping to me is in the neighborhood of $25 or so.

The fellow I spoke with there said he'd be sending along the T/S parameters of the E-18 by email, so I can match it to the cab, maybe find a suitable substitute, and I now wonder what else I could use that would cost less bread to throw in there?

I still have to run numbers, but I'm not averse to modding the box as necessary, as some of my associates will (sadly) attest...

Any 18 users out here? Got some advice for an economical replacement?

Thanks!
  4. Count Bassie

5. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

It takes a giant dump just above 1Khz. Would not give me what I want tonally.
  6. Tomkat8

Tomkat8 Supporting Member

Check out carvin , the prices vs quality is good.
  7. Count Bassie

Did discover that...
  8. Tomkat8

Tomkat8 Supporting Member

The cheaper one is built by eminence and the more expensive one by b&c.
  9. Count Bassie

Good idea...
  10. Count Bassie

I see... I could maybe do this... thanks Timkat8
  11. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

Some years back, I built an 18" for Chelsea Baker.
    She ran it under her D410-XLT as shown in the photo above.
    It survived about 3 years of touring before she finally killed it.

Today, it sits in my garage and holds up a bunch of boxed drivers pending their projects.
    I got a replacement Definimax 18LF from Speakerhardware, but haven't gotten around to replacing the failed on yet.

Here is the response chart comparing the 18LF with her stock D410-XLT.
    It offers a bit of bass extension, but is nothing striking compared to the Eden.
    Both are measured as Groundplane, 2.83v at 1 meter, uncorrected for groundplane reflections.
    The SPL numbers in the chart are +6dB higher than equivalent free space measurements.

I would not recommend these 18" drivers below 41 Hz.
  12. Count Bassie

13. Jensby design

Jensby design

14. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

Eminence Sigma pro. Usable Frequency Range 41Hz - 2.4kHz Sensitivity 99dB
    @$170.00

Great sound and very durable. As in sat in 8' flood water for 5 days. hosed out and let dry(only was saving the cabs) Ended up needing em for a show not caring if they blew. (friends b-day party) They now have worked 2 years no problem, with about 50 hours on em.
  15. azureblue

azureblue

In my experience with 18's (and low end) it's more the box than it is the speaker. I had a 10cu ft. EAW cab with 1- 18", 2 - 6" and some sort of tweeter, and it would for sure go down to 32 hz. The wavelength of a low B is longer than the inside of some venues - 30 Hz is over 38 feet long - on stage, I could not hear the low B, but it was killing the people out in the audience. I tried other cabs that would do a low B, some with woodworking tricks, and some with smaller multiple speakers, but what was on paper - the specs- usually wasn't the same live. I had a guy that was going to make me a 2-12 folded horn sub, run with a two way system, that would go down to 20hz, but the catch was it was basically inaudible on stage.

From my personal experience, the best plain old "so much low end it would blur your vision and stop you from breathing" low end, I got from my next rig - 4 - 5 cu. ft boxes, each with a single 15 (Gauss), and two of the cabs had JBL 500 hz horns in them. The cabs were mods of Westlake Audio Control Room monitors - the originals being 2-15's and a 500 hz horn in each 10 cu ft. box. They would go down to 32 hz, and it could be felt on stage. Yeah, I had roadies back then....
  16. Count Bassie

Would you throw in the Carvin and use it as standalone? I don't mean would it sound like what you are hoping for in your mind's ear, but would you use it that way until you could get a top-end cab for it?
  17. Count Bassie

Just saw after I posted... but same question: would you gig with it as your only cab?
  18. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

Check out partsexpress.com
  19. Count Bassie

So is this the same as the one you're talking about? Yes, right?

20. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

Oh my, I apologize. I a$$umed that it was an off brand. (like a pyle pro knockoff) And don't let the 41 hz useable put you off. While there is a dropoff after that, I've never noticed it playing synth. all the lowest notes hit the same. And I love the high sensitivity!