1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Economical cab for the TH500?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jumblemind, Dec 11, 2012.

1. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Getting my TH500 shipped next week and am thinking about cabs. Right now I have an Ampeg classic 1x15 with a 4ohm neo speaker upgrade, as well as an ancient 8ohm Hartke 4x10. I'm guessing the 15 will sound pretty good, but who knows. I want to do the modular thing for indoor gigs, a 1x12 or 2x10 to start. I would LOVE to do the Aguilar SL112 pair, so sexy and gotta be some good voicing, but I can't swing $1.5k in the near future.

I'm looking at the Avatar 1x12 with neo eminence speaker. A pair would be about the same as a single new SL112, and I might sweat it less throwing into the back of the Honda and dragging it into bars. Any other suggestions for economy cabs (sub $500) with the Tone Hammer? Or is it wasted money in the long run to go cheap on the Aguilar?
  2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I use mine with a Genz Benz Neox 212t. It's lightweight and loud enough for any gig that wouldn't already require PA support, and it's very mid friendly, so you'll always be heard in a mix.
  3. jumblemind

Nice. I was looking at the Genz Benz single 12s earlier. For the range of gigs and rooms I find myself in, I'm wondering if 12s would be too boomy in some rooms/not enough cut in others or just right everywhere. Their rise in popularity makes me think the latter, especially if I get one with a decent horn for the highs in boomy spaces.

Meantime, I seem to have found myself between amp heads for this weekend. Go an extra you can rent out for a PresPub gig?
  4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I've done gigs with the TH500 and an Avatar B210 neo and it sounded very good (with the tweeter off) :)

It also sounds great with the Genz 212neoX. There's a Peavey Headliner 410 at my practice space and I've used that for a few gigs and it sounds really good too (it's a sealed cab).
  5. rpsands

rpsands

Try a GK MB410.
  6. jumblemind

Nice to hear on the Avatar. I suspect with that giant shelf port it gets some good low end for a pair of 10s. Also nice to hear on the sealed cab, as I was contemplating a couple of SVT210 AVs for the vibe and the weight.
  7. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Click link in signature :bag:
  8. NWB

NWB

Yeah, I'd say that the new Genz Focus cabs would be an economical solution. I think even the single 15 cab is pretty light. They have great reviews so far and are light and inexpensive.

FWIW, I prefer a pair of 1x12's. I do cut the low-end for boomy rooms. I don't think there's any other solution for boomy rooms no matter what the driver size.
  9. acleex38

acleex38

I've been using a pair of Hartke hydrive 1x12s with my TH500 and been very pleased (the pickier out there may disagree). I also have the Ampeg classic 1x15 (plain old 8 ohm version) and while I've played with it in the house briefly, I haven't felt like lugging it to a gig. I may try it for my trio bar gig on Saturday and see how it works (all else being equal, across 4 different heads, that Ampeg has been my favorite sounding cab, but not enough to lug and load it when a 112 at half the weight will do).
  10. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    If you have the tools (or know someone who does), a fEARful 12/6 can be build for less than than $500.
  11. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

The low B with the Avatar is quite thunderous!!
  12. NWB

NWB

I'm sort of picky and that's the rig that I use. I really like it too!
  13. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

Focus 115 is 46 lbs (which is the same as a Hartke 210XL BTW). I have a bad back and shoulder and can carry it around easily. I like mine so much I just ordered another.
  14. jumblemind

Cool. These Hartkes seem like a Swiss Army knife of a cabinet, and except for the grill with the goofy type they look beautiful.
  15. acleex38

acleex38

I am picky about my tone - don't get me wrong. But my gigging cabinet experience is limited, I have little-to-no experience with boutique amps, and I am prone to mocking audiophiles.

Yeah - I really dig the Hartkes. My Ampeg SVT15e is my favorite sounding cab I own, but the Hartkes are quite good, easier to transport, and get 98% of the playing time, home or gigging.
  16. acleex38

acleex38

"gigging cabinet experience" = I have only gigged with a small range of cabs, so my knowledge breadth is limited.
  17. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

I really, really like this rig.

[​IMG]

You might be interested in this since you're in Knoxville.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/msg/3430051176.html

The Avatar B212 neo is a superb value on the used market. Light, sounds good. I bought and sold mine a few months ago for $250 so this one really looks like a good deal. Should be able to flip it easily if you don't like it.
  18. Will Kelly

Will Kelly Supporting Member

Wait until you can afford the cabs you really want.

The Ampeg 1X15 will probably sound really good in the meantime.
  19. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

This is UBER COOL!!! Don't know what those cabs are, or how they sound, but way cool!

20. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

I'm using a pair of Genz Benz Focus 1x12s with my Tone hammer 500. I'm very pleased and @ appx $698 the pair, how can you go wrong??