1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Economical strings for arco

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by lucam, Dec 16, 2012.

1. lucam

lucam

Hi tbers, I own a cheap double bass that I have used some years ago: I was studying arco at the music school, but mostly playing pizzicato and jazz.

I quit playing my dbass because I love to play jazz with the electric bass more, and the environment I was in didn't want me to do that. It was a bunch of ******* who believed that everything done after the '50s is crap and that the real jazz should be played with the double bass. So I began hating dbass at the point I refused to play it anymore.

Well...that's until a couple days ago, when I listened live a symphonic orchestra performing Beethoven...oh my...I felt the need to go back to my double bass and just study arco again and play classical repertoire on it. Please don't misunderstand me, I love listening to good dbass players: it just happens not to be my piece of cake =)

So here's my request: it's a cheap factory-made double bass, 3/4. Is there an economical but not-too-bad string set that would sound good for arco only playing? I am not gonna use my dbass to play in front of an audience or to make a living out of it: I'd just like to...let's say secretly study it for art sake and my own pleasure.

Thanks in advance!

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator

Here's my request, you don't like being stuck in the 50's, find some less offensive vocabulary.

3. BeowulfKingsley

BeowulfKingsley

I'd check out the Evah Pirazzi Weich strings...you can sometimes find them here in the Classified section cheap and in good shape. They bow really nicely and sound very good in pizzacato too. Try 'em out, you may even have some fun with the Jazz and Pizz thing as well...

4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    First, thank Chris Fitzgerald for removing your offensive word. Also, most of the regulars here hold the jazz of the 1950's in high regard. You don't have to like it but nice way to make good impression. :rollno: We're all part of the same tree. Second, filling out your profile would be helpful. Regarding strings, Helicore orchestra strings (the ones with blue and yellow silks at the tailpiece) are about the cheapest strings that work well enough for arco. Many of us have a set at the bottom of our string drawer.;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

D'Addario Prelude are even cheaper than Helicore.

7. lucam

lucam

Thank you all for your contributions! I apologize for being so rude, it wasn't intended. The same goes for the vocabulary, I really didn't mean to offend anyone.

Concerning the 1950's, I may have to better explain my position: I love and respect what has been done there. I just cannot stand the idea that there is nothing after that and that the good music ends there. Ray Brown, Charles Mingus, Steve Swallow or Scott LaFaro are just the first names that come to my mind if I think at jazz db players that I enjoy listening to. But doesn't Anthony Jackson deserve the same amount of respect? I am literally amazed by his work with Hiromi Uehara - just to cite an example which is clearly following the 50's.
    I am totally fond of the idea that would be presumptuous to ignore all the greatness of the musicians of the Jazz Era - everybody who wants to play jazz has to start from there - but saying that Anthony Jackson or Avishai Cohen are not worth listening sounds even more presumptuous to me.

--Luca

ps. I'll update my profile infos, thanks for the tip!

8. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Formerly known as Francois Blais...
    I second the D'Addario Preludes suggestion.
    Unbeatable for the price. (and very nice strings anyway)

9. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

I respectfully and absolutely disagree with the comment, "I just cannot stand the idea that there is nothing after that and that the good music ends there." Much, much great music has been played and recorded since. It may take some time to find it, but it is out there. I encourage you to open up and look for it.

10. lucam

lucam

I'm sorry iiipopes, I am really not getting which one is the idea that you are supporting.
    I'm pretty sure it's due to my bad English and the malformed sentence I wrote, so I will express my thought again.

I wanted to say that there is a lot of great music that has been made before the 50's, but there is great music after the 50's too and I find presumptuous to discriminate the latter just because it's "post-50's".

That said, what is your position and the advice that you want to give me?
    Hope I've made my position easier to understand now :)

Thanks again for all your contributions, I feel like I'll get the Prelude at this point!

11. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Yep, they are a decent string at the price - we use them in schools a lot. That said I love Pirastro Obligatos for both the ease of bowing and their great pizzicato sound.

12. lucam

lucam

Thanks for the kind suggestion! Unluckily I am overseas, so the shipping cost + fees plays a big role. Anyway I'll keep my eyes wide open, who knows! :)