1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ed Friedland's R&B Bass Masters

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by tornadobass, Mar 8, 2008.

1. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I'm just starting to work with Ed Friedland's R&B Bass Masters.

The CD, however, is broken...I'm assuming that it's pretty important for understanding the book.

Anybody worked with this book lately? Suggested approaches?

Also, anybody able to help me out with a copy of the CD?
  2. Vandelay

Vandelay

3. lord toranaga

lord toranaga

contact the publisher, they will send you one free or cheap
  4. SteveMoodie

SteveMoodie

Awesome book, by the way!
  5. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club! Supporting Member

I agree (enough to necrobump this thread). One of my favorite things about the book is the listing of "Recommended Cuts" in each chapter. I went out and purchased all those songs and made a cool playlist. It's like an R&B Bass Master Class listening to it! Nearly all of the tracks that Ed transposes in the book come from those cuts.

I just started looking at the book again tonight; I wanted to make a demo video of some cheap Fender copies I purchased. They are both Xaviere (Guitar Fetish) basses; the P has GHS Precision Flats and the J has a dead set of GHS Boomers. I added the chrome covers; these are perfect basses to use while studying this book. In the video I am going straight into an inexpensive combo amp with zero signal processing. These are two of the more straightforward lines in the book, one by Bootsy and the other by George Porter, Jr.

http://youtu.be/DbWPS3cVYN0

Ed's drum tracks are really solid. He goes into drum machine programming in his books; I never had the patience to work that out.

The "Gear and Setup" section of each chapter is really cool feature. This is a perfect book for bass nerds--lots of awesome details on some of the best players ever to record by one of the most accomplished teachers/authors out there. Get the book!

--Steve