Ed Roman Curbow Bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arnie, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Arnie

Arnie

I have some confusion on the Curbow basses some are considered very cheap and some styles/models/brands command a very high value. Can someone give me a brief breakdown? Thank you..

2. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I only know a little about Curbow basses but as I understand it the basses made by Greg Curbow the now deceased luthier command high prices. The Cort Curbow basses that are made in Korea under license from Greg Curbow are considered cheap.

I only know this because I'm in the market for a nice 5 string in the £2000 price bracket, but keep finding myself strangely drawn to the Cort Curbow 52 at £400-ish and I've been trying to find out as much as I can about them

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Ed Roman makes unlicensed copies of Curbow basses, without the authorization of the family, on the basis that nobody makes them anymore.

4. Graphitejazz

Graphitejazz

Ed Roman let me try out his personal bass made in the Curbow style. It played great. I liked the extended range the neck offered. Definitely worth considering.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Not recently, I presume?

7. Arnie

Arnie

NICE!!! lol... Any way Goodwill has one listed at a very good price right now $140??

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

That is a Cort Curbow, not a Roman or real Curbow.

9. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Yep. Don't know where they got the idea that was an Ed Roman. The truss rod cover is missing, which has the Cort logo on it. They are actually a nice bass for the money. If you can get it for around $200 that would be a good deal IMO.

10. Graphitejazz

Graphitejazz

Ya, sadly he passed away shortly after that visit to the shop. We talked about making a graphite version. That would have been something!

11. eulogy77

eulogy77

I own 2 Greg Curbow International Exotic Petite's, they are the best basses I've ever played, the corts are not bad, I had 2 before getting the real hand made ones, I haven't try the ed Roman ones but I doubt they feel and sound as a real curbow

12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

Or, even as good as the Cort version.

eulogy77 likes this.
  13. gurensan

gurensan

I did not know that either Greg Curbow or Ed Roman had died.

Who else do I not know about? Is Ned Steinberger still alive?!? I know Leo Fender is gone, George too, and Seth Lover...

14. eulogy77

eulogy77

Greg Curbow passed away in 2005, I didn't had the chanse to meet him, but now owning 2 of his instruments is a pleasure, I had the wenge neck restored by Greg right hand man Douglas Somervell, and what an awesome job

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  15. kodiakblair

kodiakblair

I've a Cort Curbow. It's got the Bart in it. Very nice bass, light weight and compact
    here's how it fits in size-wise with a P copy and a Mikro.
    [​IMG]
    Prices in the UK dropped for a while on the Corts but look like they're picking up. £200/250 mark.
    Heard folks say they're uncomfortable to play sitting down due to the lower horn. Can honestly
    say never found it to be true nor would I say the Luthite or Ebonol changed much bar making it
    light.

Looked at the Ed Roman Curbow bodies myself today, any idea roughly what they cost ?

16. eulogy77

eulogy77

I've only read about the ed Roman ones, but I had 2 of the cort curbows, very nice bass for the price, I had both of them with the mighty mite pick up, I bet the ones with the bartolini sound better, as far as price I have no idea on the roman ones

17. kodiakblair

kodiakblair

I was unaware of the Romans till today,was looking for a bass body un-routered and they
    came up. Ticked most of the boxes though just not fretless.
    Never heard the mighty mites so I can't tell you if one sounds better than the other.
    They'll both play the same, damn fine!

Thanks for replying Eulogy

18. eulogy77

eulogy77

No problem, these are my Greg Curbow International Exotic Petite's, couple of quick ways to identify the original from others is the head stock shape, cort has it similar, the slated neck pick up, and the rockwood neck, he also build the xt 33, which the cort on the previous pic is model after, the Retro, and some one offs custom ones that are just about impossible to find

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  19. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    OEM Manufacturing Supplier
    I would not know anything about Ed Roman other than he made copies of Curbow Basses.
    Just to be clear there is no association between Roman and Curbow what so ever.

As for Greg Curbow I was at the Memorial Service. I miss the ol codger.

20. iualum

iualum

Maybe they're considered "cheap" by authentic Curbow standards. In comparison, they surely are. But that's a very unfair comparison. Not apples/oranges, more like apples/wrenches. In comparison with other instruments in it's price range, the Cort Curbow is very nice indeed :cool: .

21. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Yeah, that's why I was interested in them. I have one very nice '73 vintage Ric that I've had since '76 and not long ago I treated myself to a used GB rumour ( a boutique bass that would cost around $5-6k if I commisioned the luthier to build me one to a similar spec).

All of my other basses are 'budget' instruments because my theory is that you can get instruments that play great for not a lot of money, upgrade a few bits if needed and get a great bass for far less. I also like basses that are a little odball, hence my continuing interest in the Cort.