Eddie Jackson of Queensryche...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Hategear, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Media:
    Does anybody know anything about Eddie's rig? The liner notes on Queensryche's Empire tell me he plays Kramer basses and Rotosound strings, but that's it. I absolutely love his tone on "Jet City Woman." Maybe I'll have to go check 'em out on tour and see what he's doin' for sound reinforcement.

BTW, Geoff Tate's voice is killer!
  2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

I always dug his tone. Very agressive, but still versatile. I know he played Spectors also.
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

I think he plays something else now, but he played Spectors for many years. I've always liked his playing, and like that he uses both fingers and a pick, depending on what the song calls for.
  4. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

I agree and wish I could help. Unfortunately the last 3 times I have seen them they were all using in-ears and didn't have a single amp in view onstage. Made for a great stage show but it didn't help to answer any of my gear questions. Not sure if they will do the same on this tour.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Ive seen him in ads for Lull Basses.
  7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

That's true.. On their last DVD, Live Evolution, he was playing a Lull 5 string.
  8. rsautrey

rsautrey

He's no longer endorsing Rotosounds anymore. He plays DR Hi-Beams now.
  9. neptoon

neptoon

he used to play spectors with a pick, i thought...and yeah, he's playing lulls now. one thing about queensryche was how clean their stage was...no cables, and rarely were their instrument rigs visible...wireless mics, the whole bit.

the singer in my band and geoff tate were given voice lessons by the same guy :D :bassist:
  10. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Supporting Member

If I remember correctly, (and i think I do) Eddie used Spector basses (Kramer Era, of course) and recorded & toured with both GK 800RB and SVT heads and used both Ampeg and McCauley Sound (from Seattle) cabs during the Mindcrime and Èmpire tours. I know what you mean about the bass sound on Jet City Woman, it totally kills. You should also listen to ``I Don`t Believe In Love`` from Mindcrime, if you haven`t checked it out, it`s another great example of his tone.
    A USA or Czech Spector and an SVT rig will get you pretty close to that tone with some experimenting, that was my gig rig for many years of touring, and many players that came to see my band(s) during that time ( 1989-95 ) remarked on how similar my tone was to the Empire era bass tone, which was fine by me, I could have done a lot worse. It`s definitely one of my all time fave bass sounds on a recording.:D
  11. Hategear

Media:
    Cool! Thanks for the replies!
  12. Caeros

Caeros

When I saw them in July I believe he was using a Fernandes.
  13. dragonbass

dragonbass

Disclosures:
    EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    I got a chance to work with Queensryche last night ( I am a stage hand) and have to say that they are some of the nicest guys(especially scott)

Regarding Eddie's gear........

-Spector 5 string in black(w/EMG's)
    -Mike Lull Modern 4 (sunburst w/J-pickups, hipshot D-tuner)
    -Mike Lull Modern 4 (Black w/EMG's, hipshot D-tuner)
    -Mike Lull Vintage 5 ( sunburst w/j-pickups)
    - 2 Ibanez 4 string acoustic basses (black)

(All songs were played finger style except Jet city women.)

-Chorus pedal (no idea the make)

That's it!!

The whole band plugged direct into the FOH board.
    (Except Michael Wilson..he had a small rig that went to the board)

No monitors on stage...all in ear.

How did they sound you ask..............

AWESOME!
    they were really loud, but they sounded great!
    Set list was great...two new songs the rest were all classics. 2 hours...no opener....no Intermission!

What a great day! :cool:
  14. Hategear

Media:
    Thanks again for all the replies and thank you, dragonbass! What a cool experience. How does one become a stage hand for a big name rock band anyway? I worked with a drummer once that worked with Motley Crue, but I never asked him how he got the gig.
  15. Razor

Razor

I just caught my 13th Queensryche show when they played Dallas w/ Dream Theatre on the "Tribe" tour.
    Eddie used the black Fernandes previously mentioned a little bit but mostly played his Lull jazz with maple neck. He's used that one since the Live Evolutions tour best I can remember.
    He's an avid GK user and last I heard he was still using McCauly Cab's. He also used to use a SansAmp PSA which he uses for the gritty/dirt sound. This tour was the first time I have ever seen him use a pedal...he used a Crybaby Bass Wah for the bridge in "Open" with the Fernandes 5 string.http://mikelull.com/welcome frames.htm (Pic is from Mike Lull's website and it's when Eddie was on the Live Evolutions tour)

Ok, the link only brings me to the main page...click on the link for endorsee's and you can get to the pic's of Eddie. Also...I may be wrong about the black Fernandes 5 string but thats what it looked like to me. Good times....:D
  16. dragonbass

dragonbass

Disclosures:
    EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Hategear,

I don't work for Queensryche...I work at a few local venues in N.Y.

Most of the roadies/techs that I have spoken to were just in the right place at the right time. Many of them are from recommendations from friends that are already in the business.
    But once you get in and show that you can handle the work and the travel you will always have a gig.
  17. slugworth

slugworth Banned

18. dabbadon8

dabbadon8

When I saw him this summer he played a Mike Lull.
  19. Tumbao

Tumbao Supporting Member

20. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

I just couldn't get into his bass playing when I saw them in July... buty that was after seeing John Myung absolutly tear it up.
  21. cassanova

cassanova

Hate,

Last I remember seeing, he was using Mike Lull basses.

If I remember correctly for the Operation Mindcrime and Empire tours he was using Spector basses (Kramer era) and McCauley (SP)Cabinets. Im not sure what he was usiang as a pre/poweramp and effects setup.