Eden 410XLT - keep or sell to fund Fearful?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mizedog, Dec 5, 2012.

1. mizedog

mizedog

I'm thinking of selling my beloved Eden 410XLT to fund building a Fearful 12/6 or 12/6/1. Or, to fund getting a 5 or 6 string bass.

I just bought an Aguilar TH500 head which I love for it's tone, and LIGHT WEIGHT:hyper:. I pulled out two old single 12 cabs (SWR Monitor 12, and DeCuir tweeterless 12) and have really only been using the SWR.

I love my Eden and it was my Holy Grail cab for me when I bought it. I've used it only a handful of times including at the local arena, and for a couple convention gigs at local hotels, powered by my GK 700RB 210 combo (which I'm ready to say goodbye to).

Should I sell my Eden to fund a Fearful for larger gigs? Could I get by with just the two single 12s, and use the $$ for another bass or effects? Would I get decent $$ for the Eden? I paid $700 for it new back when Guitar Center gave good discounts for working musicians. Know that I love the mid range bump that the Eden provides, but wonder if the TH500's warm tone would do that through a Fearful...

Thanks for any advice you can give.

2. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Used Eden 4x10's are selling for a song, just a poor market for big cabs.
    Great cab BTW.
    I would keep it, go for the Fearful, evaluate both then maybe move it.

3. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

See if there's a Fearful owner near you who will let you bring your Eden and try them side-by-side. I did that and found they are both awesome cabs with the Fearful being more neutral and accurate, and the Eden having the coloration it's famous for. If you're like me it will turn out to be a matter of personal preference.

The Fearful will be a lot lighter, though.

In my opinion a pair of single 12s won't measure up, especially if they're not matched, and you will wish you had kept the Eden or swapped it out for a Fearful.

For large gigs as you mentioned, consider relying on the FOH for volume. The best bands keep it quiet onstage so everybody can hear everything.

4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Do you like the sound of your TH through your current cab? If so why change?

I really dig the sound of my TH through my fEARful, they complement each other very well. The fEARful has all the bottom end to handle everything the Aguilar throws out, and the cab has present upper mids that balance the ever so shy upper mids of the Aguilar. If there are any tones that you are chasing I might be able to make some recordings this weekend. Just PM me and let me know what you want to hear.

As far as a cab choice, I would look at a 15/6. The 3015LF costs the same as the 3012LF. A pair of 12/6's would be a killer rig with a TH500, but a single cab might be lacking a tad depending on your volume needs.

Here is a quick clip of my TH and '66. Might not be your tonal cup of tea but I find this rig to be very versatile.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I would keep just keep the Eden as you won't get much for it in these days of modernity and lightweight minimalism.
    I am convinced that most of this board are in fact travelling to gigs via hot air balloon these days.:bassist:
    PS I kept mine and its the eight by ten version, worth nothing now.:bawl:
    Hang on it still sounds monster.:bassist::D:):D:hyper:

7. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

If your Eden cab gives you the sound you like (I think they are great) and you have 112 cabinet you can use at smalle gig when you don't need a 410. i would stick with it. Save your money for another bass.

8. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

If you want a sound anywhere near your eden, the fearfuls are NOT going to work for you. They are about as opposite as you can get.

9. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

I had an early D410XLT and loved it. Only traded it because I had back surgery and didn't know if I would be able to move it! (Fyi I could now with no problem).

Never played a fEarful but I did own a Avatar TB153 which should be in the same tonal ballpark. Honestly the TB153 never worked well for me and is almost the polar opposite of a D410XLT. I felt like I was just working to get the TB153 to sound like a more typical bass cab.

Keep the Eden if your happy with it, only get rid of it once you have confirmed the fEarful sound is for you.

10. esa372

esa372

I sold my Eden cabs (two D210XLTs) when I got my two fEARful cabs (12/6 & 15/6) - no regrets at all. It was definitely a good move for me.

The cabs are quite different though; if it's possible, try to check out some fEARfuls before you sell your 410.

11. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

I have been a long time fan of the D410XLT4 and ran one for many years as my main rig. I personally didn't like the Fearful I tried compared to it.

I wouldn't blindly sell your Eden and just hope the Fearfull will do what you want. You'll have to try one out before you'll know if it's right for you.

There's another active thread in this forum about what gear you've sold and regretted it. I commented in that thread about my beloved D410XLT4.

12. rpsands

rpsands

I'm not sure I would be looking at a single 8 ohm fEarful with a 500w micro. They're just rarely gutsy enough in my opinion There are a few that can hack it but they're the exception.

13. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    I think the unfortunate reality is that you won't really get enough $ from the Eden to make selling it worthwhile. Just keep gigging with it and setting aside gig money for the fEARful.

14. mizedog

mizedog

Thanks CL! That was awesome of you to take the time and post a clip! Thanks to all for the suggestions. I think there is an Fearful builder near Colorado Springs. I'd love to compare. But, I hate to bug him/her if the prices are beyond my reach right now (kids, house, family, etc...).

I love the Eden's tone, but was also loving the idea of gaining space back in my garage, and moving from 100 pounds to 30+.
    I'll keep scratchin' my head over this, but I still am amazed that so many amazing (but heavy) products are devalued now because of the weight factor. It's like a paradime shift or something.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014