Eden 4x10 or Mesa Boogie 4x10......Compare??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gkman1, Dec 20, 2012.

1. gkman1

gkman1

I'm currently using a Mesa Boogie Walkabout combo 12" amp. The amp has served me well, but I'm think of getting a 4x10 cabinet. Has anyone compared the two cabs listed above? An amp recommendation would be helpful too...Thanks!!
  2. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

Eden D series weighs 95 pounds while the Booge Traditional weighs at 85 pounds......with having a Boogie head, I would get a Boogie cab. Strong lows, balanced mids and nice top end. Both are quality cabs though
  3. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Get the Boogie cab. Much better lows to me. However, I wouldn't worry about an amp. Pop the head out of that Walkabout combo and try it. I haven't found a cab that it sounds bad with yet. That head KILLS. I own half a dozen heads but the Walkabout is the only one that gets any regular use these days. Before you spend any dough on a new head, try the Walkabout with your new cab. You won't be sorry.
  4. gkman1

gkman1

Any major difference in the Powerhouse or Traditional 4x10 Mesa? We play in small to medium rooms and I just want some more headroom with the highs and the lows to be strong. I will def try the Mesa Walkabout head first.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

More lows as well?
    Get the D410XST!
  7. gkman1

gkman1

Does the Eden 4x10 have wheels? Also, no one in my area carries Eden, so I really don't have the opportunity to try it out....
  8. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of Mesa cabs, but mostly their bigger cabs - IMO, Ampeg, SWR, and Eden all do the 410 thing better than Mesa... My main criticism of the PH410 is that it's too low to the ground, and a bit too mid scooped sounding - I always have a hard time hearing myself well with one, without being too loud overall... On the used market, a Goliath III can be quite a bargain...

Another 410 that kills is G-K's 410RBH - but they're usually pretty pricey, and pretty heavy for a 410...

- georgestrings
  9. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    While the Mesa is a great cab you might find an old Eden XLT in good order quite cheep, because they are so heavy fewer people will want to haul one these days, just check the cones for creases, if they haven't been heavily abused they go on for ages.
    If you want astounding downstairs you can find an XST later to couple with it.
    Lots of people say that is a hell of a good combination of tone for a rock bass rig, I have the old 8X10XLT three port cab which I couple with a pair of Ampeg SVT115's.
    I know it's against the rules but they don't seem to be out of phase at all.
    The clarity of the Eden compliments the thickness of midrange tone the old Altec 15" add in the Ampeg cabs so well.
    You will have to choose what you like, see if you can get to hear one of those old Mesa 2X15" cabs with EV15L's in them, they sound great, also heavy though.
    If you are fit and strong you can get some fantastic sounding old cab's so cheap now.:bassist:
  10. gkman1

gkman1

Yeah, I definitely do want to hear a lot of mids or have it low to the ground....I'm going to try out the Mesa Powerhouse 4x10 this weekend and see how it sounds.
  11. gkman1

gkman1

I'm in a 3 piece band which includes an acoustic guitar and electronic drums, so I'm just looking for clarity with the highs and lows.....I do not need anything that will throw the sound super loud...i used to have a 2x10 and 1x15 GK cabs and they threw way too much. My Mesa Walkabout has been great for these gigs, but I feel the lows are getting pushed too much.
  12. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    A powerhouse 4X10 should sound very good and have plenty of VLF and low mid in reserve for your purposes.:bassist:
  13. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Agreed in this case...

- georgestrings
  14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I would go with a Powerhouse 2x12, but that's me. Traditional vs Regular Powerhouse, the difference is asthetics. The cab and drivers are identical. Good luck, you'll be amazed how much the Walkabout has to offer with a bigger cab.
  15. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I actually emailed Mesa CS about these since there are no detailed reviews on the Traditional cabs at this time (does anyone here actually own one?). They essentially said the Traditional line is a super high quality vintage oriented cab... more midrange than the scooped Standard line, less hifi than the Standard; no tweeter or crossover control system.