Eden cabs and distortion

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by KablesP, Feb 11, 2014.

1. KablesP

KablesP

I play an Ampeg SVT II through an Eden 210XLT and I plan on getting another 210XLT. However, the cab does not sound great when distorted, even with pedals I have had success with on bass.

Is this the speakers?

2. BackonBass13

BackonBass13 Supporting Member

Had an Eden rig back in the ninties. Never really tried to overdrive too much, so I can't speak on that. It handled my ART Nitro rack unit fine however. Loved my first Eden setup. Warm, punchy and clean. Great stuff!

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What is the impedance of the cab, and how hard are you pushing the amp?

4. Sartori

Sartori

Do Eden cabs have tweeters? Many tweeters sound rather strange with distortion.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

^^^This. I've disabled the tweeter in my Eden D-210T because I prefer that sound for all of my tones, clean or dirty...but it definitely makes the fuzzed-out tones sound a lot more listenable!

7. KablesP

KablesP

Well, I don't use the SVT with that particular cabinet because the heads only 2/4ohms and the cabs 8. But when I use it with a Carvin R600 and my VT Bass it sounds nasty and not what I expect from a nice overdriven tone. This is on pretty low volumes and not pushing the cab very hard.

I have the tweeter disabled. The cabinet sounds amazing for a very thick punch clean tone but not so much for overdrive. Maybe I just to get an FX blender pedal so I can still retain some clean tone behind the OD.

8. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

The XLT is a great cab, but it does have a mid bump. That may be what's skewing the overdrive to your ears. The XST is similar, but handles a bit more power, has more lows, and less mid. (And sounds pretty good to me with my OCD pedal, or the TH500 cranked.)

Unfortunately, I sold off my XLT cab, before playing around with overdrive.

9. KablesP

KablesP

I was thinking about adding either another XLT or an XST to the on I already have now. I need to get the impedance down to use the SVT.

I really like the sound of the XLT and it seems to have lots of bass to me. Havent played it live yet so thats the real test.