Eden EGRW 264

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

Eden Gig Ready - EGRW264

I finally picked this one up, and I am really surprised they don't get more of a mention on TB. It is really, really light and portable. The tone is pretty much the opposite of the similarly sized Ibanez Promethean. It is not for the constant slapper. It has tons of booty, and my B string sounds shockingly good! I would like a bit more brightness on the G string, but it really filled up the room at a rehearsal last night. I will see how it works with drums tomorrow.:bassist:
  2. Dr. Cheese

I had a rehearsal with a twenty voice mail choir, keyboardist and drummer today. That little EX110 speaker really works well! I am really shocked at how much bottom it has. It is better than my old Markbass combo which was no slouch at all. My church is pretty small, and need nothing else in terms of power or cabs. What is really cool is that these mini rigs are around $650 give or take $20, significantly cheaper than a Markbass, and about the same as a Promethean with way more bottom.

I have also worked it a bit more, and I have been able to get life into my G string. In addition to the bass, the EGRW 264 can deliver a nice mid heavy punchy tone that works really well if you want to cut without a heavy bottom. What is really cool is that this cab allowed me to get a really nice old school r&b tone for a Southern Gospel tune were are doing tomorrow. It made my TRB5II sound like something that would be used Muscle Shoals!:bassist:
  3. shtik

shtik

I tried the EX112 combination with the same head.. I needed something that would not be heavy but still be powerful enough (without having to spend big rig money). I ended up with the 320E 115 combo.

The 264 head and 112 cab were pretty clean and smooth sounding at moderate levels.. But for loud Rock with hard hitting drummer, crushing guitar and ripping synth sounds, trying to handle heavily overdriven and fuzzed bass sounds, I think one gig would be enough to blow this thing up.

When I tried to work it to it's limits, the cab choked and clicked as saying "this is too much" (something I also felt on the Markbass combos), the head was distorting badly and the red light was on. The 115 E320 combo sounded as if it can handle more beating right away.. It is still sort of a compromise rig but is much tougher. After gigging regularly with it for the last 2 months since I got it, I can say that it was the best choice I could make and i am so glad I didn't get the 264 head and 112 cab although it was lighter to carry.

For lighter, cleaner small gigs it might fit but for anything more than that, I wouldn't count on it.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Playing in a small church and at home is almost all of my playing. I think it will hold up fine for me.:)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Supporting Member

I have been using a 4-ohm EX112 cab for fretless 5s EB for about a year. It's a great grab-and-go cabinet for rehearsals and small venues. I use it with a WT405 or an AI Clarus. It's also suitable for an elevated-and-near stage monitor. It rounds out an Aviom IEM just fine. Decent sound, easy to carry and setup, no fuss, inexpensive . . . Works for me.

Yep, it's not designed for that . . . Go for a D410XLT (or 2) with a WT head . . . Everyone involved will be much happier.
  7. Dr. Cheese

I used mine for service yesterday, and it was more than loud enough for what I do. I am still learning and tweaking it for the optimal sound, but the portability and volume plus the price are really working out well for me.:bassist:
  8. shtik

shtik

Great it works for your needs!

Just finished a weekend of loud rock gigs - it just reminded me how wise it was for me not going with the 264 combination for my needs.. I pushed the E115C to it's max and it delivered a totally dynamic, growly rock sound. Not the big bottom sound I would expect from a full rig, but seriously loud and rocking, with no choking or clacking of the cab. The 264 with EX cab wouldn't have survived this weekend.

Had to point this out in this thread to recommend a budget amp at about the price of the EGRW264, but a bit more robust for handling tougher conditions. It's just a bit heavier and bigger, though.
  9. Dr. Cheese

That's fine. We all need to share what we know.
  10. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

Good stuff. It seems the micro amp stuff is catching on!
  11. KJung

KJung

Hey Anthony. Nice little practice rig, although I can't believe it would compete very well with your Markbass 112 combo. Do you still have that? What was your reason for switching to this smaller rig?
  12. Dr. Cheese

I went in the direction of extreme portability. The Markbass is a little more powerful, but I think the Eden supplies superior low end. I will probably end up getting a 1x12 Hartke cabinet since they are pretty cheap and sound great too if I need more power. As it stands, I honestly don't need more power than the amount I get from the Eden, so why not have a rig that is light and takes up very little space?
  13. KJung

KJung

Anthony, since I didn't hear back from you per the email I sent, just reminding you that next Friday and Saturday (the last weekend of September), Zeb is doing his first show as a headliner at the Jazz Bistro on Grand Avenue. Miles, Pops, Jason Swaggler and I think Phil Ring on guitar. It will be mostly an electric gig, which will be interesting.

Two shows on Friday and Saturday. I will be gigging (subbing for Zeb on his pop gigs!), but hopefully you can make it.

Also, Tommy Kennedy is playing with Miles and Bill Lenihan at the Thursday Jazz series at Wash. U (Homes Lounge) this Thursday. That is free, and is a must attend. If my flight gets in on time, I might make it to that one.

Lots of 'bass wonderfulness' in St. Louis over the next couple of weeks!
  14. KJung

KJung

Cool. I did not realize that rig was that much smaller or lighter than the little Markbass 112 combo.
  15. Dr. Cheese

Ken, I am terrible about checking my commercial e-mail account! Thanks so much for telling me about the show. I have a rehearsal scheduled Thursday, but since I will be at rehearsal today and Saturday, I should be alright if I check out Tom Kennedy. I am going to try to make the Friday or Saturday show too.

Thanks again, Ken!
  16. KJung

KJung

Cool. I might see you at Wash. U if you make it. Not sure if I can get there by that time, and I'm in a van heading way West for a gig EARLY Friday morning. It should be a great show. Miles and Tommy really are something together, and if you've never heard Bill Lenihan, he is a unique voice on the jazz guitar, very open and a bit 'outside'. It should be a challenging show to listen to.

Remember, Zeb's gig isn't until next weekend. It should be good... some originals, some YellowJackets tunes 're-imagined', etc.
  17. Dr. Cheese

The Eden mini rig is only 2 lbs, lighter, but it takes up maybe 20 or 30 sq. in. less space, which makes a difference in the trunk, and being able to put the amp in a shoulder bag and having a cab with with a well designed handle means I can carry my rig and put a gigbag on my back without any trouble at all.;)
  18. KJung

KJung

Cool. Sounds like a similar sort of thing as the Genz Shuttle 3/110 combo. I hope I get to check it out sometime.
  19. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

It would be cool to hear what you think of them Ken. I have been considering one for a while but the lack of user feedback I can find makes me a little skeptical. Based on the design and specs. it should be similar to an EA 110 Wizzy with more bottom end because of the larger cabinet.
  20. Dr. Cheese

Ken, I see Zeb isn't doing his show until this weekend. Since the tickets are only $15, I'm pretty sure I'll be there.;)

My EGRW264 srved well again for the Women's Day service. The ported cab is so bass heavy, I have had to go against my instincts and turn down the bass below the flat setting. Boosting the mids and also turning down treble a bit is giving me a nice sound that cuts through pretty cleanly. My Yamaha is naturally bright, so turning down the treble on the bass and amp gives me a warmer sound and a better G string tone when I do the slap pluck thing.

The bottom line is that this is a very nice rig for someone who wants something light and portable. It really works well for playing in church with a choir, keyboardist and bassist. I'm sure that someone playing with loud guitar or really heavy drummer would want 500w and a 2x12 , but I don't need it!;)
  21. KJung

KJung

Correct. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I believe Tommy Kennedy is doing a second show this Thursday at Wash. U. (the Holmes Lounge series, which is free) but not sure about that.