1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Eden Ex110-4

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by hobbes1, Feb 3, 2014.

1. hobbes1

hobbes1

I have been reading some old threads here about this cab and it seems to get good reviews from those that have had one back in the day.
    I have been considering buying one as a small and portable cab for small gigs. Wondering what kind of realistic volume I could expect from this with my GB shuttle 6.0 and five string basses.
    I know I will not be blowing the roof off or overpower an acoustic drum set, but for those that have played/owned one, do they get fairly loud?
    Are there any other 1x10 cabs out there that are better (eg: handle the low end while also producing good volume?). I know that this one at 4 ohms could drag out 600 watts from my GB and I know better than to open it up on this little cab....
    thanks for any constructive input.
  2. hobbes1

hobbes1

anyone have a thought on a better 110 cab than this Eden?
    thanks
  3. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

I have the EX 112 Eden & thats as small as I'd go, it handles the B well. If you can find an Epifani 110 thats a great cab
  4. hobbes1

hobbes1

ok. thanks Tunaman, for your thoughts.
  5. LenMinNJ

LenMinNJ

I recently bought an Eden EX110-4 to use with a TC Electronic BH250 head. I got tired of dragging my Eden D210XL to rehearsals. I play a '65 Jazz Bass and an Alembic Spoiler - both are 4-strings.

It has a single 10-inch driver with a whizzer cone. Cabinet is made of plywood and is ported. It has a nice metal grill like my old D210XL, and good quality plastic corners and carpet covering. It's made in China. It gets loud enough to cover a loud band with one guitar player using a 60's Fender Bassman, another using a 70's Twin Reverb, and a drummer who can really smack those skins.

I like it. It's really portable, and once I attended to a quality control issue (described below) its sound quality is very good.

The cabinet box itself is very well made but as a complete speaker bottom it had some manufacturing quality control issues.

The rugged-feeling metal handle sits on a plastic well. The well is secured into the cabinet with six oval-head wood screws. The handle inserts into the well and is secured into the cabinet with four oval-head machine screws which screw very securely into T-nuts.

My cabinet came with a wood screw mistakenly used where one of the machine screws should have been. Because it couldn't be properly tightened down, the cabinet leaked at that point.

Because the plastic well is mounted on top of the carpet covering, and the carpet is not airtight, the well also leaked air.

Once I removed the plastic well, trimmed back the carpet, sealed where the well sits in the cabinet with plumber's putty (Mortite is one brand), and I replaced the wood screw with the correct metric machine screw, it was properly sealed. That made it a good sounding cabinet.

Len Moskowitz
  6. klokker

klokker

I have a shuttle 6.0 that I run into a 4 ohm ex110. It's loud enough to be too loud for practice, but I've never tried to gig with it, I'm sure it wouldn't be enough for my band in a gig situation. It would be great for rehearsals, but everywhere I rehearse there's already something there for me to play through so I've never done that either.

Sounds great, is good and loud and super easy to transport, that's the best I can say. Doesn't have a huge low end, but I don't like that anyway.

I have a little 10 watt guitar amp with a 6" speaker that I practice with most of the time, but once in a while I like having a better sound, and use the ex110. For "really small" it's hard to beat IMO.
  7. hobbes1

hobbes1

Thanks for your thoughts!
  8. bigshiny

bigshiny

I also had a QC issue with this same cab. But I purchased mine used. I noticed a rattle. Turned out it was sheared speaker mounting bolt. No big $ amount fix. Just replaced all 4 of them with a larger diameter. This cab is pretty amazing though. It can handle a lot before chuffing. I was very impressed.