Eden hand signed WT-390 or Markbass Mini CMD 121P

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Trathoughts, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Trathoughts

Trathoughts Supporting Member

I need expert help deciding. I have an EBMM '93 stingray 4-string.

Seems easy right?
    Well. I got a speeding ticket, so either I sit and wait on my Eden on layaway or cancel and pick up a new Markbass and take a few bucks home.
    Either way is cool, but here is my reasoning:

A) the Eden is a hand signed WT390 combo: d112xlt. Sounds awesome, seems like a superior amp circuit but it is heavy as hell, used and I still owe $150 for it (tagged at $800 after tax). Comes with another d112xlt that I might sell for the money

B) Markbass. Lightweight, punchy, but seems like an inferior amp design but with a great speaker, portable and looks pretty. It is new, I can get two year warranty on it and save it from any **** that might happen. I can get it for a steal so canceling my layaway will save a few bucks and get a new lightweight combo.

Am I dumb even second guessing the eden? Is it really that special being a hand signed piece? Is it worth the weight/wait for the eden when I could just zip around with the Markbass ? Or get a dolly and proudly display a cool eden?

Ugh... Gassing for a better amp.

2. Jazz_bass2664

Jazz_bass2664 Supporting Member

Combine the best of both worlds. I use a Markbass New York 121 cabinet with an Eden WT300 head. Superior eden circuitry with the portability of the markbass cabinet. Im incredibly happy with this rig!

3. Trathoughts

I wish it were that easy but did you read the post? I'm deciding between keeping the eden signature on layaway or getting the combo. You kinda didn't help at all haha sorry.

4. Trathoughts

The eden is already a combo... I wish the store had a wt300 or 390 by itself or I'd do exactly that. I dig the eden design... Obviously dig the MB portability

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jazz_bass2664

Yeah i understand that. I was suggesting you scrap both routes and possibly look at other options. It seems with your two choices, you wont be completely happy. Also, i think its much nicer to have a head and cab set up than a combo. The WT390 is very nice though and if I had to pick one, i would go with that.

7. George Mann

George Mann

My advice is to go with the Eden (and keep the extra 112).

8. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

The Eden is a great amp, but the signature means nothing. The cab in that combo, however, has a very mid-forward tuning IME. That may or may not be to your taste.

9. Trathoughts

I'd love that option, to scrap everything, but the isn't much availability where I am at for either company, and I happen to enjoy both immensely.

I'm a funk guy at heart, so the mid presence isn't much of an issue. In fact, it is easier to dial in the tone I need with the Eden than the MB. It sounds like a general consensus to stick with Eden at this point.

Is it really a gimmick with the actual signature on the cab? I heard these were "hot-rodded" or hand built by David Eden himself,... If that's the case, I don't feel as bad and I could always just get another Eden head or combo in the future since I know I like the sound... Just save cash now and my back as well...

Anyone think the Markbass is a good option for portability, gigging and the age (brand new)? Again, I'm headed there in a half hour or so to shed and see how they match up. I'll try to make a decision today... Either cough up the dough for the Eden and be set for life... or until it dies, or walk home (literally I could) with the Markbass and some extra cash in my pocket.... Or maybe a new OC3 or something.

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

He is comparing it to MarkBass combo... he is getting a mid bump to his EQ either way...

11. bobcruz

bobcruz

Agree that the signature means nothing. The hotrodding refers to bumping the power output on the original WT330 up to 390/405 watts into 4 ohms; nothing special or handmade.

If you can go with the Eden, keep both cabs--you'll be glad you did. Two of the 112s with that head makes a very potent stack. I filled a huge carpeted hotel ballroom with that exact rig (actually the separate WT405 head and two 112s) in a jazz big band with no FOH and had to turn down.

12. Jazz_bass2664

I think anything eden will sound much better than the combo head in that Markbass Combo . What ive noticed is that the Eden Eq is much more flexible and the preamp is a more full sound than the markbass heads. I say go for the Eden, it will not disappoint.

13. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

I'm definitely more of an Eden guy than Markbass. (See sig.) That combo will do very nicely for a lot of gigs. With the second 112, even better.

14. Hapa

Hapa

I loved that EDEN combo. I have that bass as well so I vote eden. It served me flawlessly for years

15. Trathoughts

Thanks people! Eden it is. Taking that bad boy home today! Is $750 a fair price for the two? Haha, you bet!