1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Eden+mesa cab or head

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bassistcali, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Bassistcali

Bassistcali

Ready to stop living on my combo and PA systems. David eden cab with mesa head or Mesa cab with eden head? Im thinking eden cab. Your opinions?

2. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

Maybe you could be more model specific? I tried a Mesa Vintage Powerhouse 215 with an Eden 1205 a few weeks back,and didn't like it at all.

3. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

I think manufacturers make cabs and heads for a reason...they tune them to go well together. The best sounding rigs I've had are matched.

4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disagree.

I think there is about as much science going into matching one manufacturers amps to cabs, as there is in designing their cabs.

It might be an easy place to start, but by no means should one product line limit a amp/cab pairing.

There are plenty of manufacturers that make amps I would play, but I wouldnt want their cabs. There are also plenty of manufacturers that only make cabs, and no amps at all.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

What kind of tone are you going for?

I have not try any mesa heads, but I did and still play through an Eden Navigator preamp. Love the flexibility of the EQ section!

7. 1stchopper

1stchopper

Also disagree. Have used Gk amps with mesa cabs several times over the years. Currently using Fusion 550 and powerhouse 410. Last time was 800RB and diesel 210. Both times they sounded amazing.

8. johnpbass

johnpbass

I'd try out all combinations of the two to see what you like, Eden head/Mesa cab, Mesa head/Eden cab, Mesa/Mesa, Eden/Eden. I would not limit yourself to any set combination.

9. Bassistcali

Bassistcali

Just a nice punchy loud bass...my band does a wide array of things but I do like geddy, Burton, and Robert deleo (but he uses a pick [and I don't]). But otherwise nothing too specific maybe a little fuzz on the amp.mainly a nice punchy one that sticks out.

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

I'd recommend Bergantino Find them in classified here

11. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Mr. Majestic Swamp Ash Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    Eden head .........Baer ML112 or 212 cabs.......if you don't need to much power, I love the Mesa Walkabout w/Baer, also.

12. Abrahampost

Abrahampost Supporting Member

I usually gig an Eden into Aguilar cabs but got to use a backlined powerhouse 4x10 with the Eden and was pretty floored by the clarity and tight bottom end in the cabinet. The weight of it is the only reason I didn't go out and get on the next day.

13. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

I really like Eden cabs. They are very efficient, meaning you get decent volulme per watt. At present, I have a pair of 210XST's that do everything I need. I can run them with my Eden WT-550, or the db750.

The Eden 410XLT cab is a backline standard, with good reason. Great volume, punch, and very dependable.

14. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

You definitely need to try out whichever combination you are considering.

Yesterday I tried my Ampeg PF-350 with my newly reacquired Mesa PH 1x15. It sounded "OK" but not awesome, as that cab is with my Mesa Walkabout powering it.

But IMO it's not necessarily that the Mesa head is better (which it is), because...

The same PF-350 through my Ampeg B200R cab sounds wonderful, almost as good as the WA/Powerhouse rig. Very surprising and I have no idea why aside from the "matching head and cabinet brands is a good idea" thing.

Let your ears be the judge, though. I'm not sure I buy into the matching brands theory.

15. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

Two of my favorite artist, Rush and STP!
    For punch, I think of Eden since they have the semi parametric mids that is very useful. I usually set the EQ with mids first, add treble for sizzle and clarity of notes, and add bass for a better low frequency sound. Wt800 would probably fit your bill.

For Fuzz, you might be better served with a Mesa, but I'm not familiar with their amps.

Cab choices, you have quite a bit to choose from but that's considering all brands.
    If you want to stick with these 2 brands, IMO either brand 610 or 410 cab would help in being loud. 810 cab can be either too much for a smaller party, too heavy, and lots of $$$$!

16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Why does it have to be one from Column A; one from Column B? What kind of assumptions have you already made about combining Eden with Mesa - or Mesa with Eden - that you haven't shared publicly? And why? :eyebrow:

MM

17. Bassistcali

Bassistcali

I just like those brands.....

18. tbz

tbz Supporting Member

I have a few Eden heads (wt-550, wt-800) a Mesa Bass 400 and some Eden Cabs (210XST, 410XLT)

Edens sound great with the Edens; Mesa sounds great with the Edens.

Personally haven't tried many Mesa cabs, the few I've tried were solid (avoid the 410+115 cabs though)

19. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

No. I'm not asking "Why have you selected only Eden and Mesa"? I'm asking "Why have you designated only the two combinations of Eden head + Mesa cab(s) or Mesa head + Eden cab(s) - instead of the obvious alternatives? What's the logic there? :confused:

MM

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Robert DeLeo uses a pick? Don't know that I recall seeing that. He's always used fingers when I've seen him play.

21. Bassistcali

Bassistcali

I guess it's not that obvious