Eden Nemesis NA320 vs. Gallien Krueger 400RB-IV

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

I thought this would be a good Amp A vs. Amp B.

Which would you go with, and why?

Any comments about general tone diffrences?

2. Modern Growl

bump. no one? i thought this would be a good one, being they are advertised at the same price!

3. Modern Growl

4. vision

vision

i've only played the nemesis na320 in the store, and i've played the 400rb both in the store and on stage, so keep my comments in context. i would prefer the nemesis over the gk. the nemesis basically has the classic eden tone - clear punch with a touch of warmth in the sound. the gk has a clear punchy sound, but it doesn't have the wamrth that i like in the tone. alot of people like the gk because they say it has growl, but the tone doesn't really suit my taste.

i will add however that the 400rb is alot louder on stage than its power rating would suggest. i haven't played through the nemesis on stage so i don't really know how it would sound in that context.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. heart2strings

heart2strings

Actually, it is a pretty close comparison. I own an Eden Nemesis 400, which is the same as the 320 except slightly higher output and the addition of a distortion control, and am selling the Eden because I prefer the GK.

Both are pretty loud, although the GK does win that one. The Nemesis I thought handled the low B string better, even with the "4/5-string" button on the GK. It just helped the lows cut through better without making them muddy. The GK can push low frequencies quite well, but it may take more tweaking on my part to really bring out the best in it. With the Nemesis I just played the note and there it was. If I boost the lows on the GK they can sound muddy without punching the low D, for example.

The GK is a lot lighter, making your rack easier to haul around to gigs. In the end I'd say the Nemesis is probably better suited to studio work, and the GK shines live.

I hooked up a Korg Pitchblack pedal tuner in the GK's effects loop thinking it would mute the signal completely when I hit the switch, but it only mutes to the speaker outs, not to the DI. My signal still came out the mains/PA. So a word to the wise, I'll save you some experimentation on that score.

Overall, though, the GK is, in my opinion, better suited to the sound I like. Both amps will probably give you the sound you want with some adjustments. I couldn't believe the difference that the GK made to my old, obscure Hohner bass sound, and it made my backup Samick sound like something twice the price. I didn't really feel that the Nemesis was in my corner in the same way. But it didn't matter whether I was slapping or fingerpicking, the GK handled it all very well and gave me a nice uniform sound level throughout.

I'd say that more thought went into the design of the Eden, such as the inclusion of an onboard compressor, a phones jack which can be used to slave the head, and so on. In the end, though, the "best" amp is simply this - the one that gives you the sound you want. Value for money can be decided by stats and specs, but that doesn't tell you the whole story.

Which is why even though I think the Eden is the better amp, the GK is the one I like.