1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Eden or Swr

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gracedmg, Mar 6, 2006.

1. gracedmg

gracedmg

Right now I'm trying to decide on the 750x or the wt800 any input and I want to know about frequency response cause edens 410 has a lower frequency response than its 18 sup with that
  2. bothroysnvts

bothroysnvts

I own the SWR Bass 750 (older version of the 750x) and I am looking at the WT800b. The 750 is cool, but the WT800b sounds thicker.
  3. gracedmg

gracedmg

what were you running the 750 through
  4. gracedmg

gracedmg

I'm trying to decide I used to have a sm900 through two golliathIII now I'm playing a five string and I'm wondering If an 18 on the bottom will help
  5. draginon

draginon

Eden sounds quite a bit thicker. If you want the eden to color your tone in that way go for it, otherwise stick with SWR
  6. Stanley Design

Stanley Design

The Eden blows the SWR away IMO.
  7. joegeezer

joegeezer

Disclosures:
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Buy the Eden!
  8. seaKamp

seaKamp

Its like asking whether you like night or day more... You will get about 50-50 most likely. SWR is a bit too nasaly for me, great sparkle but for my money if you want that bottom go for the Eden. I'm an Eden guy myself so thats a biased opinion from an Eden user :smug:
  9. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

I use to like swr, I owned several amps and combos. now, I'm one step away from buying an eden wt550 to use with my aguilar 112's The eden can have a much deeper, almost subwoofer type tone, the eq is "active" so a little twist makes a big change compared to most swr eq. the eden can still be thinned out to sound kinda like an swr if you still like or need that kinda sound.

what am I sayin'?? GET THE EDEN!!! :hyper:

if you get the wt800-B make sure it says "4 ohms minimum bridged" on the back or else you'll be stuck with ONE 8ohm cab on the older 800 model. The WT550 goes down to 2 ohms, but is not adjustable for dual output.
  10. blizzard

blizzard

I would get the eden personally. When I bought my amp I tried all the brands including SWR in my price range and walked away with a Eden WT550. The tone is thick and warm.
  11. permagrin

permagrin

Eden.

I mean, unless you're going for a crispy, sizzly modern high end tone, just go with the Eden and don't look back. The 750x is nowhere near the amp the sm900s were.

A buddy bought a brand new 550x, 410+115 SWR rig that we a/b'd one night with my Eden rig (WT330, 210MBX, 212XLT). The Eden rig was louder, clearer, deeper - just significantly better, with less power and less cone area. We played with the EQ on the SWR rig quite a bit but couldn't get as nice a tone as the Eden set flat. Sounded better with the band too (guitar/drums/vocals). I would have thought things would be closer, but it was like a pro team taking on a college team, no contest.

Also, a guy I know down in FL (I take a lot of business trips down there) is a monster player and an SWR endorser, his rig is a SWR 750x and 610 cab. Very loud, but a pretty harsh tone to my ear. Handled a low B but not deep at all, no fundamental, although he had the bass EQ knob up all the way (I recall some pretty extreme settings across the board).

The Eden will probably do whatever the SWR can do only better and with more headroom, and the Eden will do a lot more. It'd be best to know what cabs and basses you have, and what kind of tone you're going for... but I doubt I'd change my recommendation.
  12. corrosiontrav

corrosiontrav

The correct answer is the Eden!
  13. lgrankin

lgrankin

I play a 750x through Bergantino and Aguilar cabs. I like the SWR, but it's very heavy and not very versatile... you can't bridge it or run it in stereo. Very much a one trick pony. The subwave is cool but the overdrive circuit very harsh and unusable (at least for my purposes). It's also not nearly as loud as you would think for a 750 watt amp.

For the time being it works for me!

LR
  14. dsanders

dsanders

I'm going through this right now as well. For years I have been happy with SWR. I've been through the 750, the 750x, and now I use the Mo'Bass on the road. I've used the Golliath III, the S.O.B., the Monitor 12, and now I use the Megoliath. Everything was fine...then I walked into Corner Music here in Nashville a few months ago and played an Eden.

Now I have gas like you would not believe. So if you play alot of thumb stlye music and you like a transparent amp I would stick with the SWR. If you want an amp with more depth and a nice round top I would go with the Eden. What am I going to do? That is a good question.

I'll probably end up with an SWR/Eden monster rig and some type of swithing system. The SWR just sounds better with my thumb, but the Eden has good fingerstyle debth. I have confused myself again...
  15. unatratnag

unatratnag

No kidding, but more like 20/80 in favor of Eden on this board.

For me it depends on the music I guess. Neither one is wrong. My old roommate played Eden. I love his by itself, even more then my SWR when we'd practice. But live my vote's for SWR when I'd see him play with a band. I unfortuantely never took it out, but just was the spectator and knew how he played so that's as qualified as i get on that subject. I just like the presense the SWR had and especially that bite when needed. +1 to the warwick combo too.
  16. Tony G

Tony G

While it is not quite on the same playing field as the 750 or wt800, I chose my WorkingPro 700 over the purchase of a wt500. I thought overall the sound was much more to my liking. It was punchy and growly, with great bottom end.
  17. basskillah

basskillah RWB Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FRS cabnets
    Not trying to turn this into a pissing contest, but I've owned WT-300, WT-400, and WT-800 so I think I can answer with credibility here. The WT-300/400 were awesome sounding no doubt. and I love the Eden tone. They are grossly underpowered, 330 included.
    You claim a WT-330 is more powerful than a 750x. That's very ambitious, and I don't believe that to be true. Even the brand new Eden micro heads are weak, WTX-260/500... My SWR SM400s was much louder than probably all 3 Edens I've owned. The problem with SWR is they do actually produce low frequencies down to 20/30 hz. This is why you see major cone excursion. This sounds/feels great, but it does eat up a lot of headroom. Low frequencies take more power to reproduce. Not just ripping Eden but i think the SWR 350x I owned was just as week at the wt300/400. The only sub 400 watt head I thought had enough juice was a Trace Elliot Vtype 300h, loudest 280 watts @ 4 ohms, probably ever. The WT-800 (mark A's at least) I found to be impractical beacause I'm a 1 cab kinda guy. I like to use 1 4 ohm cab to get the most out of the amp,. The WT-500/600/800 bridge to an 8ohm cab, so then I'd be stuck with only 250/300/400 watts by only being able to run one channel in stereo mode.
  18. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Since the last post was over 7 1/2 years ago I think you are safe? ;)
  19. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

You probably won't get much debate after almost 8 years...
  20. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

With a fork in SWR by FMIC, Eden now owned by Marshall, it is pretty much moot anyway?