Eden people: Pairing 2x10 with my Eden D115 (pre XLT, XST)?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Brady Weiss, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Brady Weiss

Brady Weiss

My current amp setup is an Eden WT400 running into an Eden D115 1x15. It is NOT the D115XLT or the D115XST, it's the older D115 without the tweeter or ports. I find the cab is not enough on its own and am looking to add a D210 to bring out a bit more in the higher frequencies. I think I remember researching this some time ago and reading on a forum that the D115 would not pair with a D210 due to wattage or impedance(?), unless I owned a World Tour head that could balance the cabs or something to that nature. I can't seem to find the discussion anywhere so I came here to get some clarity on my dilemma.

So, to summarize: Can I add an Eden D210XST or D210XLT to my current setup of a WT400 and D115 (pre XLT/XST) with no issues?

Thanks in advance!
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Mixing dissimilar cabinets will always be a crapshoot. The safest route to follow is matching cabs every time.
  3. KablesP

KablesP

As long as they are both the same impedance and have similar wattage ratings then you shouldn't have a problem of it not working correctly. Sound and performance is a different game though. I have not played an Eden 115 but I have the 210XLT and it is a great cabinet.

Honestly, if funds permit, you would be better off with either 2x 210XLT or 1 210XLT and 1 210XST. Havent tried the XST/XLT setup but I have read many many good things about it. The XST can probably go lower than the 115 and not sound muddy or unfocused. Not implying that your 115 sounds like that, but this cab can cover the low end spectrum. The XLT has a mid bump that some people like and some don't. I love it and it makes my bass cut through. Mixing these 2 cabs covers almost everything and is big enough (and portable) for most gigs. And depending on the impedance you get, you can only bring 1 to the smaller gigs.

I would reccomend 2 4 ohm cabs if your head goes down to 2 ohms. That way, you still get a lot of juice when only running one cab.
  4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

The problem with the op's plan is assuming the 15 will be lower, and the 210 more middy. False assumption, as both cabs are "full range" bass cabs. As is usually the case, two identical cabs will always have a predictable outcome, and sound bigger than one cab alone. Mixing two different cabs is an unknown, and best avoided.
  5. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

If your D115 has the same specifications as the D115XLT then the D210X(L/S)T is 3dB more sensitive so it is likely to be louder than the D115. These cabinets come in 4 and 8Ω versions while your amp has a minimum impedance of 4Ω. This means you have to make certain that you have the 8Ω version of the D115 and you have to get the 8Ω version of the D210X(L/S)T for it to be usable with your amp.

As for how they will sound together - only you can be the judge of that and it is unpredictable because they are different.
  6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

+1. Ad infinitum.

BB, if you find the D115 to be an inadequate performer, trying to add a dissimilar cabinet to it in order to compensate for its deficiencies is probably not the savviest approach. :eyebrow:

The much better course of action would be to replace the D115 entirely - with a genuinely full-range cabinet that will give you all of the frequency response you truly desire. Then if one cab doesn't move enough air, simply get two of them. Or more.

MM
  7. Brady Weiss

Brady Weiss

Thanks for the help everyone, it's much appreciated. I'm just going to trade up my D115 for a D410 or D210 (maybe a D610 if I'm lucky) after I buy my 5-string next month!
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I tried mixing my (former) D-210XLT with my D-115XLT. No bueno. The 15 seemed to steal the tightness of the 210. I really liked pairing the D210XLT with my D210XST. I don't like mixing driver sizes. It might work in some cases, but I've never encountered one.
  9. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

I don't know what you might have read, but fwiw I've been using an Eden D115 and a D210T as my main speaker stack for almost 20 years now, and they have no trouble complimenting one another!

(btw, your D115 should have a port; look on the back.)