Eden to Genz Benz transition

Discussion in 'Ask Doug Johns' started by cflbass, Apr 20, 2012.

1. cflbass

cflbass

Hey Doug,

Love your playing and tone you get out of both your rigs. I've noticed lately you're playing the Genz Shuttle and Neo Cabs.

Were you using a Wt-800 thru a 4x10 and 2x10XLT on your older videos?
    I like the Eden sound, it seems the older amps are more coveted but the used ones I'm finding lately all seem to have distortion or drop out issues.

I can get a brand new shuttle with more wattage and a 3 year warranty for the same price as an older Eden, but I can't find a store that carries one in my area. I'd have to buy it sight unseen.

Your playing is very articulate. Do you prefer Genz over Eden as brand that reproduces subtleties like muted/ghost notes, tapping and harmonics better?

Thanks in advance
  2. mupchu

mupchu

While you wiat for Doug to respond you might want to check youtube for the Bass Whisperer's review of Genz products. From my experience he hits the nail on the head.

Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 Combo - YouTube

The Genz is very responsive to control input and does not color your sound, and allows your playing to come through, whatever that may be. The amp tends to reproduce exactly what you put into it. I can't speak to the Eden, but hope that helps you out.
  3. cflbass

cflbass

Great vid, and Ed Friedland does a great job demoing it.
    I like how his J, P and MM basses still have their characteristic sound, but on steroids. His tone is exactly what I'm looking for.

The WT-800s I'm finding are all in the 700 price range (pre-Washburn) and they all seem to have some issues.

I got a quote from Music123 for a Shuttlemax 12.0.....600 bucks with free shipping... at .50/watt with crystal clear sound I haven't found anything better. Looks like I'll go that route.
  4. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Not much to not like about the Genz stuff. Best amp / cab combination I've ever played through. Period.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist and MI Professional... see profile
  7. Cookye

Cookye

I recently moved over to the Genz GBE and I did this without ever playing one. Leap of faith if you will. I have transitioned a number of head-to-cab combos and there is no comparison. The flexibility of the Genz, as to tone, is unmatched and only equalled by the speed and clarity of picking up the notes and getting them to the speakers. They are pricey and budget is everything but they have excellent customer service.
  8. jmac

jmac

I know this thread is six months old, but to the OP: Bass Central is twenty minutes from Orlando. They even have a sponsored forum on TB.
  9. extreme

extreme

Yeah, go try some out at Bass Central. I've played Eden and other similar heads forever until picking up a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 about a year ago. It has taken me some time to figure it out and get comfortable with it, but I'm really happy now that I got through the learning curve.
  10. Doug Johns

Doug Johns

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla, Genz Benz, Pigtronix, DR Strings, Dunlop
    A big fat YES! I do prefer the articulation of the Genz. BTW, Ed Friedland's demo of the Genz is dead on.