Eden True Flat setting?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by AwesomeWithAQ, Nov 27, 2012.

1. AwesomeWithAQ

AwesomeWithAQ

I was poking around the forums and found settings to make a GK give a true flat response. I use a GK in one band and using the true flat setting seemed a much better starting point to get a great sound than all knobs at 12. I play an Eden in my other band, and was wondering if anyone had the skinny on their True Flat setting.

Inb4: Edens sound best with all knobs at 12
  2. bobcruz

bobcruz

Over at the Eden forum someone mapped a bunch of Eden amplifiers with True RTA and they were all flat with the EQ knobs at noon and enhance completely off. There was a bit of rolloff in the very low frequencies (built-in highpass filter to protect woofers from overexcursion), and some of the amps rolled off a bit in the highest treble, above 14 KHz if I recall correctly, to reduce hiss.
  3. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

What do you mean by flat, and is that what you really want? About the only time I've heard something approaching flat, ie the sound of my bass, uncoloured, is when running into an expensive pre in a studio, where the whole chain is designed to be uncoloured.

Edens set at 12 are anything but flat sounding. They have a pronounced mid hump, with just about all of their cabinets, that cuts through a stage mix. To try to make one sound flat, I'd start by reducing mids.

All amps have their own character. Matching an amp and cabinet to your bass and playing style is an art and science, and can be a lot of fun too. It's more about translating the sound in your head, IMHO.
  4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

But the AMP can be flat, even if the speaker highly colors the sound. And based on the long thread on the Eden site where someone did indeed measure the speaker outputs, setting all the EQ at the nominal 0 points creates a pretty flat signal with the WT-400 amp.

What happens after it leaves the amp doesn't have anything to do with the amplifier's sound.

John
  5. bobcruz

bobcruz

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Many amps look almost identical on the scope. That is why the slight EQ changes that are often posted to result in a 'flat' response of various amps result in every amp still sounding quite different from one another.

Much more going on with distortion levels, absolute range, power delivery at each frequency point, limiting, etc., etc. that makes each amp sound 'like it does' regardless of knob turning.

Most amps with fliters off and tone controls neutral sound pretty much like what the amp designer was looking for (sometimes called 'the sound in his/her head').:)
  7. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

8. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

yup.
  9. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    Manufacturing Supplier OEM's
    As soon as you plug an amp into a cab in a room the concept of flat goes out the window.
  10. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

My amp was flat until I installed a handle on top.