1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Eden wt-300 Traveller Question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ColForbs, Aug 3, 2001.

1. ColForbs

ColForbs

Eden's website says the compressor on this unit is an "automatic" compressor. Can it be disabled? I am looking into one of these units, but I do not want "automatic" compression..I would like to have control of the settings. Any opinions on this amp? I think they sound great, but ya know how you get a piece of gear and realize 3 months later that one of the features really sucks? I don't want to be that way w/ the automatic compressor...which can have a huge effect on my tone.
  2. Peter McFerrin

Peter McFerrin

The compressor really doesn't affect your tone that much, especially if you have low-output pickups. It's a very subtle thing, and doesn't do much to even the heaviest slaps, pops, or pickstrokes.
  3. Nightbass

Nightbass Supporting Member

The compressor is not defeatable on the WT-300, only on the WT-400. There have been numerous problems of the compressor circuitry getting hot and causing distortion and farting, about 20 minutes into a set. For that reason I'd recommend the WT-400 with the defeat switch. Plus, you get 100 more watts, which you'll need.

I've owned the WT-400 and it is a great amp. Wish I never sold mine...

Nightbass
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

As great as Eden amps are I've only heard bad things about their compressors. Only the Navigator preamp has a good compressor; the rest are better turned off.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've had my Eden WT-300 for about six years. I've never even noticed any effect of the compressor, and the amp has never farted. Last week at an outdoor gig, I drove both a D-410XLT and D-210XLT with it. Bitchen. That's all I can say. The compressor is not defeatable (as someone else said). Also, get the WT-400 (also, as someone else said). Its compressor IS defeatable (yet again, as someone else said). What a wasted post, eh?
  6. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

I have a WT300 and part of why I got it is the compressor. I LIKE this compressor,especially with the RBXJM 6. The amp sounds good as well,BTW.
  7. phil_chew

phil_chew

The compression in the WT300 is very soft. I don't even notice it when I play. It will not affect your sound. And if you play at a sensible gain level, you may not even trigger it. It's a great amp.
  8. boogiebass

boogiebass

I agree with Nightbass, go for the WT400. I never use the compressor on mine.
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member

I agree - I 've had mine for about 2-3 years now and it's never done anything except provide a great clean sound. I'm pretty sure (as phil chew says) that the compressor only comes in if you really turn up the gain and that if you set this at about half way and no more, then it never comes into play. Just turn up the master volume rather then the gain!

I tried both a 300 and 400 and couldn't tell the difference; so given that the 300 was considerably cheaper, I bought that!
  10. Muttluk

Muttluk

I've got the wt-800, and also have not noticed a single difference with the compression on or off. The only time your really notice a difference is when the gain is past like 3 o'clock, so that the light is always lit up. Also, i'm not sure if it was mentioned but the compression is only active to avoid rough spots on your signal, this means that if you were playing, and the gain was below 12:00 then most likly, the only time it would be active is if you smacked your string aganst your pickup, or you happend to hit the strings quite hard. The compression is there to keep your signal even from extreme hits. Its not like a compression you find which are always active, its only active for less then a second if use properly.
  11. scottmcstp

scottmcstp

I've got a wt-300, so let me give you my .02
    .01.......you can always set the pre-amp gain
    so the comp. doesn't activate (there's a light by the "enhance" knob that indicates when the comp.
    is active) maybe this seems obvious, but you asked.
    .02.........Eden offers several upgrade kits, including one that has a comp. defeat pull pot on the enhance knob.
    Also, I believe (i could be wrong). more recent versions of the WT-300 have the comp. defeat knob as a standard item, not just the WT-400, as some one else mentioned. Check out the Eden site for the upgrade info. hope this helps.......
    Scott Mc
  12. Funkster

Funkster

I checked out a used 300 I was going to get it for a spare to my SVT3 and the only thing that turned me away from it was no control over the Comp. The tone was all there and it sounded nice but at louder volumes the tone seemed to get sqaushed by the comp, The volume also topped out at half way maybe because it was used or I play to loud whatever the reason it just did't do me any justice,
    I'll probably get flamed over this but this is just my opinion.
  13. Peter McFerrin

Peter McFerrin

Hmm...I think what you're hearing is the output limiter. It can start to kick in if you really crank the gain (I do, I have low-output pickups) and put the master above 4 or so.
  14. kasuals

kasuals

I was just checking out the WT300 and the WT400 on the Eden website. It doesn't look like they put a way to defeat the comp on it. At least not from a front panel view.

I'm not sure what your setup is, but for me, the extra 100 watts is worth a little extra, and you can kill the comp if you feel the need.